SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

20 minutes ago, kerbinorbiter said:

i hope the fairing is recovered

famous last words, ive most likely doomed it now

They made no attempt this time, the weather and sea state were terrible and Mr. Steven turned back.

Edited by tater

22 hours ago, Brotoro said:

Music!

I was playing KSP running a little Munar mission listening to the music from the Nusantara launch. Of course, watched the liftoff and MECO/SECO but in between it was pretty sweet having a SpaceX DJ to my KSP-ing. :D

Edited by scottadges

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Viking booster funeral. 

WcvFd0F.gif

Awesome :)

I assume they use inert gass / water in upper stage. 
However they will be flying the blunt upper stage at max-q, this might also get damaged by the super drako engines. 
They must continue to burn, probably with reduced trust until they get out of the thick atmosphere so they can drop upper stage before landing. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

However they will be flying the blunt upper stage at max-q, this might also get damaged by the super drako engines. 
They must continue to burn, probably with reduced trust until they get out of the thick atmosphere so they can drop upper stage before landing. 

As elon said, everything may frag.

15 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

As elon said, everything may frag.

Yes, if upper stage get damaged so drag is asymetrical, or upper stage break down because of drag or parts damage first stage it is an rud. 

A bit like the New Sheppard abort. 

Completely doesn't fit into anything said before, but SpaceX, I've just realized, has come a very long way.
From this...
HoQhwZl.jpg

...to this...
EUpRs8D.jpg

...to this!
zJcMG1t.jpg

If someone had told me that the Falcon 1 in the first picture would one day lead the way to the most advanced series of rockets to date I would have laughed at them!

Edited by Delay

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

I don't think SpaceX intends to try to recover the booster from this one. The intent is to simulate a first-stage failure, where the range-safety charges will be detonated to ensure the rocket is just so much rocket confetti.

43 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

I don't think SpaceX intends to try to recover the booster from this one. The intent is to simulate a first-stage failure, where the range-safety charges will be detonated to ensure the rocket is just so much rocket confetti.

Elon stated they would try to recover first stage. Blowing up the first stage is not required for testing. 
rocket continuing burning might be an harder test even. 

yes you have the successful fail of the Apollo escape tower. 

2 hours ago, Delay said:

Completely doesn't fit into anything said before, but SpaceX, I've just realized, has come a very long way.
From this...
HoQhwZl.jpg

If someone had told me that the Falcon 1 in the first picture would one day lead the way to the most advanced series of rockets to date I would have laughed at them!

I don't think I've ever seen a that picture of the Kestrel before.

Edited by sevenperforce

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I don't think I've ever seen a that picture of the Kestrel before.

It was a still of this livestream, which is structered very differently, by the way. If you're used to the modern presentation of their rocket launches you're not going to recognize it (aside from everyone's favorite, John I.)!

Edited by Delay
Corrected the source

12 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

They need to either dust off the Kestrel

Probably not. What the photo is showing is the upper stage. Why is the engine bell so tiny!? I thought that an upper stange engine should have a nozzle that is as big as possible.