SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

11 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

It looks like the nose is smoother this time, and possibly has a longer straight section.

The original hopper fairing had a pretty long straight section so I don't think the dimensions will be any different. But definitely less wrinkly.

6 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Shutting down a rocket engine without it blowing up is hard. Shutting down a rocket engine during explosions is harder.

Each Merlin has an independent processing unit and each processing unit contains three redundant computers. All are enclosed inside the Octaweb's frag shield. Unless those three computers are continually telling the turbopump to pump fuel, the engine will shut down nominally. Commanded shutdown is a solved problem for Falcon 9.

6 hours ago, Jacke said:

Liquid fuel engines are designed to shut down in flight as they normally never are run to propellant exhaustion.  Flight computers often are programmed with several failure conditions where shutting down an engine is the immediate response.  Solid fuel motors can't really be stopped from burning, but the next best thing can be done, especially with strapon SRBs: install blowout panels on the top end to mostly kill their effective thrust.

I wonder why they didn't install thrust termination on the Shuttle SRBs. The first flights had ejection seats which would have saved the crew (or at least the crew with the ejection seats) in the event of a failure early in launch, but the SRB plumes would have cooked them, so it wasn't actually a survivable option. Unzipping the SRBs also would have cooked the ejecting crew. Thrust termination vents would have been the only survivable abort. I doubt it would have been a mass budget problem.

13 hours ago, tater said:

I'm surprised such an important launch is happening in the wee hour of the night. I know, windows and such, but still. Even I'm not even up yet (my alarm goes off at 0310, on weekdays. Definitely not getting up that early on a Saturday). Yeah, actually 11:48pm my time, but I'm definitely not up that late.

Just found out about the crewed Dragon launch scheduled for the weekend (thanks @Barzon Kerman). I'm really excited for this! As said in Elon Musk's autobiography, it was stated that the current crew capsule (Soyuz), was just so old and uncomfortable, and that the Dragon is meant as a new replacement, which is quite epic. 

5 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I don’t think that’s the reasoning behind Commercial Crew.

It was a part of the book that described it, it didn't state that was why the Dragon was made. The Dragon was made for a different reason

4 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

...it was stated that the current crew capsule (Soyuz), was just so old and uncomfortable....

Soyuz was designed by Sergi Korolev to have the maximum utility in the smallest spacecraft.  He went through a number of iterations and had thought of it as part of a system including putting up modules to assemple larger spacecraft or stations.

With a mass about the same as just the Apollo command module, it provided a very good orbital craft, with its division into Orbital Module, Reentry Module, and Service Module.  It could also serve as a transfer vehicle to space stations, as it has since the early 1970's.

However, a craft without Soyuz's utility and flexibility is likely better for use as a dedicated transfer vehicle.  Thus the Boeing and SpaceX designs.

11 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I plan on being present and am willing to try and livestream the launch of DM-1. I'm low on mobile data but I'll do my best to livestream the launch.

Are you going to the S-V Center or in Port Canaveral?

57 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

Are you going to the S-V Center or in Port Canaveral?

Either to the causeway bridge of Rocket Park next to the causeway.

I'd love to be at the S-V center but I just can't afford the $100 ticket for admission (and then some for the ticket to the center).

I hope we there are going to be cameras with microphones inside the capsule, so we can feel what the launch and maybe even re-entry is like. Sort of like the "riding the booster" videos of the space shuttle, and the blue origin video with the mannequin.

For me the launch is at 8:48 am in the morning. Thats about the time i arrive at school on weekdays, so im good.