SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Watching the Crew Dragon launch yesterday, I was really amazed. The capsule looks so sleek and modern! Last night I waited to watch the docking livestream too, and I watched it as this little craft just moved into position and connected to this huge station. It's quite awe inspiring seeing how one thing looks like it's just going slower than the other, while they're both travelling extremely fast in orbit around Earth. 

4 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Watching the Crew Dragon launch yesterday, I was really amazed. The capsule looks so sleek and modern! Last night I waited to watch the docking livestream too, and I watched it as this little craft just moved into position and connected to this huge station. It's quite awe inspiring seeing how one thing looks like it's just going slower than the other, while they're both travelling extremely fast in orbit around Earth. 

What was so amazing about it? :huh:

We've been launching rockets and docking spacecraft for over 50 years.

12 minutes ago, Kerbal7 said:

Well I hadn't seen a rocket launch live (always watched them on YouTube), and I actually felt like I was a part of it.

I really love SpaceX, so that's why I was hyped over Crew Dragon

15 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Well I hadn't seen a rocket launch live (always watched them on YouTube), and I actually felt like I was a part of it.

I really love SpaceX, so that's why I was hyped over Crew Dragon

I missed that, you saw the launch in person? That's on my list of things to do one of these days. It's hard when my only option is to fly.

Just now, tater said:

I missed that, you saw the launch in person? That's on my list of things to do one of these days. It's hard when my only option is to fly.

No, I saw it on YouTube live. I'm always watching the SpaceX videos after the launch (so I kinda miss it), but this time I managed to watch the actual livestream. 

Another exciting thing about getting both Commercial Crew vehicles going is that they allow for 7 crew at station. Currently, their nominal workload (including crew exercise) is such that ~5 man-days of the 6 man-days work available (with full 6 person crew) is used for ISS related activities, not their science work. Adding a seventh crew member literally doubles the science work they can accomplish.

12 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

they have to do it the same way- get a perfect window where the station is at the right point in the orbit when the launch site passes under that orbit. Fiddling with orbital characteristics doesnt change that.

Of course.

Well I suppose no one here has heard anything about it, it's OK.

I watched the docking and hatch opening with my dad via NASA TV. I especially love the parts where you could see the RCS thrusters fire, i hope when the Dragon comes back we will get the audio from Ripley's mic during docking, i'd love to know how it sounds.

The hatch opening was awesome too, its amazing to see them enter a sports car in zero-g!

21 hours ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

To our incredible mod programmers in the community:

I think many of us would LOVE to have a new docking port alignment indicator similar to what Crew Dragon is using.

yiQxj0O.jpg

Can someone please make this docking port alignment indicater a mod? Everyone would use it.

6 hours ago, Kerbal7 said:

Yeah, I agree.

I just hate when I go to a theme park and see people screaming and enjoying themselves on rollercoasters, don't they know we've been operating rollercoasters for over 100 years?

/s

Edited by V7 Aerospace

11 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Meh, first commercial spacecraft, first autonomous docking with no humans.

The first spacecraft with a beautiful, sleek, spacious and smooth design arriving at the ISS? Lame, they could've done that in 60s, meh.

37 minutes ago, NSEP said:

The first spacecraft with a beautiful, sleek, spacious and smooth design arriving at the ISS? Lame, they could've done that in 60s, meh.

Coulda shoulda woulda.

Point is they didn't.

I found the hatch opening procedures fascinating.  The professionalism and teamwork of the crew was amazing to watch and showed me a facet of ISS operations I had not seen before.  Watching Oleg Kononenko take a few selfies after the first ingress/egress also brought home the human and historical aspect of this mission.

Now we wait for the de-orbit and I'm really interested to see how the solar cells hold up during re-entry.