SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

38 minutes ago, tater said:

The only issue with this that I see is that the landing burn itself is at such low altitude, there's not really room for a chute as backup, I'd think. I suppose it depends on how deeply they can throttle (though starting up a hypergolic is not an issue).

They did do a hover test, so no problem.

I assume 'parachute backup for propulsive landing' means they would use the parachute method if there is some indications of problems with the SuperDracos prior to the landing attempt... not if the SuperDracos fail during landing.

32 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

They did do a hover test, so no problem.

The issue is failure modes.

If the engines fail for whatever reason, then it hits the ground hard assuming the engine start is below parachute altitude. There's also the failure mode where they work, then stop working (assuming that has a non-zero probability).

Propulsive landing makes more sense as a backup, because if the chutes fail, you have nothing to lose.

19 minutes ago, tater said:

The issue is failure modes.

If the engines fail for whatever reason, then it hits the ground hard assuming the engine start is below parachute altitude. There's also the failure mode where they work, then stop working (assuming that has a non-zero probability).

Propulsive landing makes more sense as a backup, because if the chutes fail, you have nothing to lose.

They have 8 engines, they only need 4 to land...

If 1 engine fails, use another pair

38 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Propulsively landing Dragon would be epic. But i doubt SpaceX will want to sink resources into this branch of Falcon\Dragon package. Unless they will want more flight data for Starship :)

They have the code.

May do this for "fun"

Did anyone consider using those engines for a retroptopulsion in the final moments of touchdown?

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

Propulsively landing Dragon would be epic. But i doubt SpaceX will want to sink resources into this branch of Falcon\Dragon package. Unless they will want more flight data for Starship :)

They’re already sunk.

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

No, but toxic hypergolic residues would be

And those are an unsolvable problem why?

CVN-76-photo-038.jpg

9 hours ago, tater said:

Except that you have to land several tonnes of propulsion things on those chutes, so they should be (1.5? 2?) times larger, and you could just have a backup set of chutes.

31 minutes ago, tater said:

They could test on a cargo landing. Burn to zero velocity in mid air, then use chutes normally. Do that a few times, then try it for real.

The chutes won't deploy if the velocity is zero, though. That means you'd have to do the braking maneuver at a pretty high altitude, and use chutes to carry you the last leg to the ground anyway. And even if the propulsion system worked perfectly, you'd still be screwed if the chutes were faulty, as dropping like a brick from a height of half a kilometer is just as deadly as dropping like a brick from space. Drogue chutes could achieve the same braking without having to lug lots of propellant around.

1 minute ago, Codraroll said:

to lug lots of propellant around.

They’ll still need to carry lots of propellant for abort capability. Unless they vent all of it to space before reentry, it’ll still be there during the landing, unused.

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

The chutes won't deploy if the velocity is zero, though. That means you'd have to do the braking maneuver at a pretty high altitude, and use chutes to carry you the last leg to the ground anyway. And even if the propulsion system worked perfectly, you'd still be screwed if the chutes were faulty, as dropping like a brick from a height of half a kilometer is just as deadly as dropping like a brick from space. Drogue chutes could achieve the same braking without having to lug lots of propellant around.

You could it together with parachutes to land cargo flight on land, this would make reuse of cargo version way easier. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

You could it together with parachutes to land cargo flight on land, this would make reuse of cargo version way easier. 

The capsule hangs at an angle under the parachutes. I don't know that that is compatible with using the SuperDracos as last-second braking motors.

5 hours ago, Codraroll said:

That’s what I meant. Brake propuslively at high alt, then chutes.

4 hours ago, Brotoro said:

The capsule hangs at an angle under the parachutes. I don't know that that is compatible with using the SuperDracos as last-second braking motors.

You dont need to kill all velocity. You just need to kill all horizontal component of velocity. That makes life easier, and landing more accurate.

But I thought they may try propusive landing on cargo missions. No chutes, pure propulsive landing.

3 hours ago, Xd the great said:

You dont need to kill all velocity. You just need to kill all horizontal component of velocity. That makes life easier, and landing more accurate.

But I thought they may try propusive landing on cargo missions. No chutes, pure propulsive landing.

There's no penalty for firing the SuperDracos multiple times -- they are hypergolic, after all. So they could do a few quick bursts just after going subsonic, to make sure everything is firing properly. If it all checks out, commit to propulsive landing, reignite and throttle-up the engines, and translate over to OCISLY under continual power. If there are any issues, pop the drogues and proceed to a nominal splashdown.

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Yep, we could have a large, reusable 8-seater capsule with propulsive landing 30 years ago. Collapse of the country isn’t great for space program funding.

Hey, don’t you know that Energiya-Buran is still an ongoing program?

Spoiler

Molniya lacks the money for an official process of closing a program.