SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

34 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Have they even done a full duration test-fire of Raptor on the test stand yet?

Maybe they’re adding equipment for inflight re-ignition?

Raptor uses an augmented spark igniter. It can restart whenever it wants, as many times as it wants, as long as it has electricity and props.

They haven't done a full-duration test fire of Raptor but they fired the last one continuously on the test stand for a few minutes, I believe.

Edited by sevenperforce

6 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Isn't black the normal color of the interstage? IIRC it is carbon fiber. They paint it for aesthetics and stopped doing it on B5. I don't think that the white adds much extra protection. Maybe Elon decided that FH looked better with a white interstage?

Utility >> looks. I’m sure there’s a reason why they painted the interstage this time. May have something to with extra hot reentry.

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Utility >> looks. I’m sure there’s a reason why they painted the interstage this time. May have something to with extra hot reentry.

Either they began construction of this core before they stopped painting the interstage (early b5), or they painted this one with ablative paint.