SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

11 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Either they began construction of this core before they stopped painting the interstage (early b5), or they painted this one with ablative paint.

This one is gonna be going incredibly fast when it comes down. Almost 1000km downrange, I’m guessing it’ll be one of the fastest entries ever. Anyone know off hand if they’ve recovered a booster even further than that?

11 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This one is gonna be going incredibly fast when it comes down. Almost 1000km downrange, I’m guessing it’ll be one of the fastest entries ever. Anyone know off hand if they’ve recovered a booster even further than that?

I know off-hand that they have not.

What sort of acceleration limits are we going see on FH today? 3g?

maxq? 30kPa?

Have the block 5 sea level engines raised their isp (from 282s- 311s) ?

What chamber pressure are they at now? 

How much fuel do you think will remain in the center core after booster sep? 120t?

A bit of prop gets burnt during engine startup from T-3s to T + 0s

How much prop do you think is in the tanks at liftoff? 405t?

Enjoy the launch folks. My crossed fingers are set to 'nominal' but I'll be sleeping through this one sadly. No prizes for guessing what I'm watching over breakfast though. :)

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

crap

Hey SQUADdie! We need a proper poop emoji. :huh:

43 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I was using a globe on a desk today to explain to people at work why launch windows. "If you want the rocket to end up *here*, you need to wait for the Earth to rotate around so Florida is *here*."

Tho, with GTO launches isn’t it entirely regulatory? They could theoretically launch any time since the sat ends up in the same initial orbit relative to earth...

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Tho, with GTO launches isn’t it entirely regulatory? They could theoretically launch any time since the sat ends up in the same initial orbit relative to earth...

Well, I did point out that the inclination thing doesn't really apply to equatorial orbits.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hey SQUADdie! We need a proper poop emoji. :huh:

Yes but there are optimal and suboptimal windows in terms of inclination.

3 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Yes but there are optimal and suboptimal windows in terms of inclination.

How so? If a train leaves orlando travelling If a rocket launches from Canaveral heading due east, won't it always end up with a descending node over central Africa-ish at about 23 degrees inclination?

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

How so? If a train leaves orlando travelling If a rocket launches from Canaveral heading due east, won't it always end up with a descending node over central Africa-ish at about 23 degrees inclination?

You may head north...

And the Earth rotates.