SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Of those who had problems watching the stream: Did you use Firefox? I had canceled streams every few seconds even on 360p until i switched to Chrome. There it ran perfectly on 1080p...

Similar experience for several friends of mine, smells realy fishy.

4 minutes ago, Elthy said:

I reckon my problems were caused by the router remanaging the data inflow.
Think about it - suddenly there's lots of data sent every single second, before that I didn't have much open that would require regular updates. Twitter maybe, but nothing else.

After that the stream went on without any further hiccups. On Firefox.

Edited by Delay

4 minutes ago, Josh IN SPACE said:

Waaahoooooo!!!! What a way to finish up my shift. I didn't think that center core was going to make it but boy howdy there it is. All three of 'em. Incredible. Starship is going to literally knock my socks off.

You know, call me crazy, but I'm about only 3% excited about BFR/Starship/Whateveritsnamewillbewhenitlaunches.  I was heartbroken when I saw that the F9/FH was to be killed off when that flies, despite understanding all the reasons why.

I just hope I can manage to see a RTLS launch before the F9 dies off.

12 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Of those who had problems watching the stream: Did you use Firefox? I had canceled streams every few seconds even on 360p until i switched to Chrome. There it ran perfectly on 1080p...

Yes, I was.

Grrr.

6FMlbD0.jpg

Amidst all the amazing things going on I couldn't help but wonder.... Why did the water tower decide to take a leak at T - 01:30 ? Were they topping it up or something? Maybe an overpressurization from downstream?

Of course this is the thing I latch on to!

So FH’s dry mass is about 80 tons. More than 90% of that mass (and 27 out of 28 engines) can return and be reused. It’ll increase to 95% if they start catching fairings. Super close to full reusability, incredible.

23 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

If you want RTLS, remember that SS/SH will ALWAYS do RTLS @Geonovast! :) 

Well, we don't technically know that (especially with the P2P launches, if that's still on the table), but yeah, probably more often than not at the very least.

I'm afraid I can't agree with @Geonovast here... when it flies, Starship will be the de facto coolest rocket ever in my mind. Just look at a Falcon 9... and make it a lot bigger... and add more powerful engines... oh, and MAKE IT GO TO MARS. Yeah, can't go wrong with that.

I WILL miss the dual booster FH landings, though... like what we just witnessed a bit over an hour ago!

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

7 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

6FMlbD0.jpg

Amidst all the amazing things going on I couldn't help but wonder.... Why did the water tower decide to take a leak at T - 01:30 ? Were they topping it up or something? Maybe an overpressurization from downstream?

Topping it off

36 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Nope, not here. YouTube mobile app, set way down to 350p even. :P

18 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

I, too, wondered about this.

cuz it was one of few segments that didn’t bog down. 

For those wondering...

Tonight's mission sent the payload into an orbit much higher than a normal GTO. Rather than a Hohmann transfer, the payload is now in a more efficient bi-elliptic transfer. Once at apogee, high above GEO altitude, the satellite will correct its inclination and raise its perigee to GEO altitude. It will then coast back down to GEO altitude and then lower its apogee to circularize. Even though this is two burns rather than one, it ends up being more efficient because more energy is provided by the launch vehicle with the advantage of the Oberth effect.

Congratulations to SpaceX for a triple-booster recovery!!

36 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

For those wondering...

Tonight's mission sent the payload into an orbit much higher than a normal GTO. Rather than a Hohmann transfer, the payload is now in a more efficient bi-elliptic transfer. Once at apogee, high above GEO altitude, the satellite will correct its inclination and raise its perigee to GEO altitude. It will then coast back down to GEO altitude and then lower its apogee to circularize. Even though this is two burns rather than one, it ends up being more efficient because more energy is provided by the launch vehicle with the advantage of the Oberth effect.

Congratulations to SpaceX for a triple-booster recovery!!

Ahhhh, that makes much more sense.   I was a little confused when they were talking about a higher altitude... for a GTO satellite.