SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

I have the feeling that this is just Game of Thrones related... but then again, knowing Elon... who knows.

Remember that time he was 'just thinking' about tunnels...

No, I think a lot would get in the way of this actually happening for quite some time.

26 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

It'd be cool if they did this as a stunt, but it turned out to work really well :D

It would be cool if they did this as a stunt, period. Few things are done as a stunt in spaceflight ever, and most stunts have some basis in reason.

I have a feeling he's not entirely joking about wings. It wouldn't be the first proposal of a slow, long, low temperature reentry using gliding. They go back to beginnings of spaceflight. And they make sense: less heating = thinner skin = less mass.

orbital.jpg

2 hours ago, GearsNSuch said:

Uh... Maybe it's a stupid question but... How are they going to get the payload out of the fairing?

Looking closer at the image... you see the larger crossbat on the payload attachment jig thingy, about 90 degrees from the center of the chomper's door? I think that's a pivot. Once in orbit, all the other crossbars either actuate or detach, pivoting the payload a few degrees so it clears the nose before launching it on it's way.

12 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Something tells me he’s not joking

He's resisted the idea of "wings in space" for quote awhile. If this happens, it's because the trades support it.

Not the first time he's talked about a "Cyborg Dragon"...

The design has shown solar panels as wings before. He's really talking about an expandable  heat shield, when it comes down to it. At Mars this might help given the thin atmosphere.

Edited by tater

17 hours ago, Scotius said:

Because civilian vessels do not enjoy such luxury. Only an entry in Lloyd's Register.

Lots ships over trivial size get a prefix e.g. RMS Titanic

SS , MV and MS are common for passenger vessels

I can't think of a better prefix than BFR though.

4 minutes ago, tomf said:

Lots ships over trivial size get a prefix e.g. RMS Titanic

SS , MV and MS are common for passenger vessels

I can't think of a better prefix than BFR though.

Might have to be reclassified once rockets capable of lifting SPARC and ARC to mars come online...

1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

Looking closer at the image... you see the larger crossbat on the payload attachment jig thingy, about 90 degrees from the center of the chomper's door? I think that's a pivot. Once in orbit, all the other crossbars either actuate or detach, pivoting the payload a few degrees so it clears the nose before launching it on it's way.

He's resisted the idea of "wings in space" for quote awhile. If this happens, it's because the trades support it.

Not the first time he's talked about a "Cyborg Dragon"...

Next update: literally a dragon.