SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

The pre-CRS mission press conference is tomorrow, I think. I expect questions about this, so maybe we get some real information.

EDIT: it’s the ASAP meeting, not CRS presser.

Edited by tater

On 4/23/2019 at 4:38 PM, mikegarrison said:

I wonder if steam locomotives were intentionally designed so that the front plate was the weakest point in the pressure vessel? I mean, you don't want them to explode, but if they do explode, then that's probably the safest way for them to explode.

Well first off they were usually designed with redundant steam relief valves to stop that happening. Of the fifteen boiler explosions in the UK in the 20th century, only two were failures of the boiler barrel due to incorrectly assembled relief valves (overpressure).

Thirteen were due to weakening of the firebox caused by low water level, which is not quite so spectacular. Low water level is caused by either operator error or faulty water level gauges.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/04/nasa-safety-panel-offers-more-detail-on-dragon-anomaly-urges-patience/

"The firing was intended to demonstrate integrated systems SuperDraco performance in two times vehicle level vibro-acoustic-like for abort environments," Sanders said. Sanders explained that the test was simulating the Falcon 9 rocket below the spacecraft breaking apart and triggering an abort.

"Firing of 12 service section Dracos were successfully performed," she said, noting that the 12 smaller Draco engines used for in-space maneuvering functioned normally. "Firing of eight SuperDracos resulted in an anomaly," Sanders concluded. This suggests the anomaly occurred during or just after the SuperDraco test. Sanders also noted that SpaceX followed all safety protocols for the test and that no one was injured.

This implies it was not just a regular firing of the Super Dracos, but that the capsule was under 2X vibration condition to simulate the rocket underneath vibrating itself apart. So there's a chance that the components of the SD engines need to be beefed up to some multiple of possible acoustic conditions (even ones well beyond what would be safe for the crew).

54 minutes ago, tater said:

This implies it was not just a regular firing of the Super Dracos, but that the capsule was under 2X vibration condition to simulate the rocket underneath vibrating itself apart. So there's a chance that the components of the SD engines need to be beefed up to some multiple of possible acoustic conditions (even ones well beyond what would be safe for the crew). 

And also

Spoiler

moldex-ear-plugs.jpgkapa_everlast.jpg

Spoiler

Failed to find a picture of a brainholder. :(

6 minutes ago, tater said:

Reveal hidden contents

401px-Sobo_1909_37.png

Nay.

When the head suddenly stops, the brain keeps moving and splashes against the skull wall from inside, getting an inertial damage.
A vibration is just a sequence of changes of the acceleration sign.

Edited by kerbiloid

As long as we're out in left field, and despite me noticing 6 months late, Martin Molin of Wintergatan and Marble Machine fame put out a video about how he'd like to make music for the SpaceX webcasts and would like the consideration of Maezawa to become an artist astronaut for dearMoon. I personally think he'd be an amazing candidate- his music is uplifting, fun and surreal. And, as much as I love Testshot Starfish's chilled out electronic dance music in the webcasts, I'd also love to hear some original Wintergatan tracks in there as well! Well, see what you think. (example songs in the box, the one on the top has some beautiful time lapse starry sky videos of his)

Spoiler

As a side note, in addition to being a music artist, Matin's also a hobbyist engineer, and watching him brainstorm and rapidly iterate on ideas is very reminiscent of watching SpaceX's 'wild' design philosophy at work. I almost feel like his videos should be required watching for learning the precepts of Fail Faster, and KISS (keep it simple, stupid) engineering. The stuff he does with plyboard is legend. And it's entertaining in the same way as watching those other guys who try to build orbital rockets out on the prairie! Something to do while we wait around in the doldrums news-wise.

Edited by Cunjo Carl
forgot the video!

49 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

As long as we're out in left field, and despite noticing 6 months late, Martin Molin of Wintergatan and Marble Machine fame put out a video about how he'd like to make music for the SpaceX webcasts and would like the consideration of Maezawa to become an artist astronaut for dearMoon. I personally think he'd be an amazing candidate- his music is uplifting, fun and surreal. And, as much as I love Testshot Starfish's chilled out electronic dance music in the webcasts, I'd also love to hear some original Wintergatan tracks in there as well! Well, see what you think. (example songs in the box, the one on the top has some beautiful time lapse starry sky videos of his)

Reveal hidden contents

As a side note, in addition to being a music artist, Matin's also a hobbyist engineer, and watching him brainstorm and rapidly iterate on ideas is very reminiscent of watching SpaceX's 'wild' design philosophy at work. I almost feel like his videos should be required watching for learning the precepts of Fail Faster, and KISS (keep it simple, stupid) engineering. The stuff he does with plyboard is legend. And it's entertaining in the same way as watching those other guys who try to build orbital rockets out on the prairie! Something to do while we wait around in the doldrums news-wise.

YES!!! MARTIN IS PERFECT AAAAAAAAAA

This vid came out last year though, on second thought I should have posted it when it came out...

(In all seriousness, no really, Martin is perfect for this. He would be my #1 choice for this project.

Tagging @Ultimate Steve here, just to get all the Wintergatan fans together here lol

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

Also, new photography from NSF shows:

• Orbital starship is divided into a few sections, nose nearly complete
  • Bottom fuel tank dome is in
  • A second concrete jig is being built, maybe for Starship #3 or a Super Heavy prototype
  • A concrete foundation/slab/thing has been (I think) poured. The general consensus over there is that this is an assembly building for the more delicate parts of Starship.

5 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

What's NSF an acronym for here? Not National Science Foundation I assume, because they're unrelated, right?

It refers to the Nasa Spaceflight Forum, it can stand for Nasa Spaceflight Forum or alternatively Nasa SpaceFlight with the Forum added as another word.

Interesting that this test was done with simulated "rocket-tearing-itself-apart vibrations." I'm hoping its a flutter issue, that would be a relatively simple problem to solve.

5 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Interesting that this test was done with simulated "rocket-tearing-itself-apart vibrations." I'm hoping its a flutter issue, that would be a relatively simple problem to solve.

Given the name "rocket-tearing-itself-apart vibrations", no wonder the faliure.

Sorry, I made that up, it wasn't an official quote from SpaceX or NASA. I don't want to spread misinformation. Though, from what I gleaned and what posters above have said, it seems that this was the purpose of this test.

Edited by Meecrob

2 hours ago, Meecrob said:

Sorry, I made that up, it wasn't an official quote from SpaceX or NASA. I don't want to spread misinformation. Though, from what I gleaned and what posters above have said, it seems that this was the purpose of this test.

Yep i know, just joking.

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

May day, just going by its name, is definitely not the best day for launching stuff to space.

Well, it's Labour Day so a good day to be home for the launch. I'll make some snacks.

Question : Are there any report yet on how the tanks failed, and how likely is it to fail ? Or are they just not going to put the fuel in for CRS-17 ?

On 4/26/2019 at 4:09 AM, Cunjo Carl said:

Martin Molin of Wintergatan

I almost thought it's the "what song is stuck in your head" thread XD but they're good !

Edited by YNM