SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Well, it’s $10/month for 200Mbps plan here, so I’m not going to switch to any kind of LEO internet any time soon.

OTOH, when I’m in a country house outside of the city, the only option is mobile internet, which is terrible. Could use a “LEOnet” there.

12 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Well, it’s $10/month for 200Mbps plan here, so I’m not going to switch to any kind of LEO internet any time soon.

OTOH, when I’m in a country house outside of the city, the only option is mobile internet, which is terrible. Could use a “LEOnet” there.

I pay like $100/mo for half that, less, in tested throughput. There's like 90,000 people on my entire island, and the vast majority of them are in the actual city on the northend. The only choices here are the hated Comcast or the local phone company, which is even worse despite putting on a good show. I can't even get usable cell service without an internet-based signal booster. Meanwhile, there's some 4 million-plus pockets for the telcoms to drain on the other side of the Sound, so we just get ignored.

If StarLink (or One Web, or whoever comes first) is even remotely competitive to that, I'll be an early adopter.

7 hours ago, sh1pman said:

*screeches in Rostelecom*

No change in risk for CRS-17 at all (confident no failure commonality).

Draco tests went fine.

Anomaly occurred during the activation of the Super Draco system.

They don't think it's the Super Draco engines themselves, they have been fired ~600 times.

Edited by tater

1 minute ago, tater said:

Probably a scrub for weather tonight. OCISLY apparently is coming back to port (landing is just off the coast, anyway).

With a 60% chance of no-go, I wasn't staying up for it.  C'mon, Saturday!

20 hours ago, sh1pman said:

One of the criteria when buying my house was good Internet. No way I'd cope with some of the stuff people in this thread have, nor the prices. The US is crazy expensive for all telecoms stuff it seems.

Also, I'm one of the few people who gets more speed than I pay for I think (line is 350 mbps, I get ~390).

Transcript of the press conf today:

https://gist.github.com/theinternetftw/d3b11690c2f473d34419673af6a3d995

Marcia Dunn, Associated Press: Marcia Dunn, Associated Press for you, Hans. What does the accident do the SpaceX's effort to get astronauts flying on the Crew Dragon this year. Is that even a possibility anymore? Just sort of a look ahead at what you anticipate. And also a status of the landing zone. When do you expect that to be back in action?

Hans Koenigsmann, SpaceX: Yeah. So for the overall program, I mean, first of all, we're going to learn a lot, and I think this will make the program actually safer, at the end of the day. In terms of schedule, I feel like that finishing this investigation and resolving this anomaly is our prime focus, certainly for me, right now. So we will see, also, what comes out of it, to some extent. So what I'm saying is it depends a little bit on what we find and what shapes the schedule ahead of time. I hope this is a relatively smooth investigation at the end of the day. And I don't want to completely preclude the current schedule. It's certainly not great news for the schedule overall, but I hope we can recover. And part of this is also based on the fact that we have multiple spacecraft in work. Basically, we've started production. So we have several spacecraft in different shape and form right now, with respect to that. So that we don't turn around and build a new one now, this is basically in the works the entire time. So I hope we can mitigate the impact on that. And then, the question regarding the landing site. The landing site and test site were very close. We wanted to basically make sure that we can focus on the evidence and not disturb that and make sure that we analyze this properly. That's why we separated the landing, basically. We are pretty close to getting, we can get back to the site right now, overall. But we can't get close to some of the, to the test stand, basically, and Dragon itself. So there's still some safety precautions right now for certain areas we can't get to. But, also you heard, we're getting close, getting close to basically get full control of the site. But I've heard that for a couple of days, too. So it's going to be, you know, day by day.

Marcia Dunn, Associated Press: If I can just follow up. Do you believe that SpaceX will be able to launch astronauts on a Dragon by year's end. At this point, today, if I were to just--

Hans Koenigsmann, SpaceX: Yeah, I know what you're saying. If I personally believe that. I certainly hope so. It's a complete carte blanche when you start investigations of that. I've done this a couple times. I've done a lot of anomaly investigation by now. And whatever I knew in the second week was never really what happened to be the result in the end. So this will take a little more time.

8 hours ago, Flibble said:

One of the criteria when buying my house was good Internet. No way I'd cope with some of the stuff people in this thread have, nor the prices. The US is crazy expensive for all telecoms stuff it seems.

Also, I'm one of the few people who gets more speed than I pay for I think (line is 350 mbps, I get ~390).

When I bought my we had dial up like everyone else except a few who had access to a T1 connection.  I now have a 3/1 late night which is about 300 baud, like my first modem, since Verizon and attached keep adding customers but not capacity. 

I've been promised real broadband so often over the years I'll believe it when I see it, but I can't help hoping for a LEO satellite constilation to give some decent speeds so I could at least stream sd at times other than 2am and download a large game or three.

(that's Eastern Time)

(I only stayed up for this because my wife's 9am flight was canceled, and she's only now in Chicago 13 hours later than she was supposed to be. Told her I'd stay awake to chat while she's taking a cab to hotel)

So the CRS-17 launch is 48 minutes after the Electron launch, woot!