SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

The drone ship is already relaying its video feed via satellite.  The issue is that the landing burn shakes the drone ship hard enough to temporarily knock the antenna out of alignment.  With a second craft around half a kilometer away, that shouldn't be as big of an issue.

Why even use a second craft? Couldn't a buoy on a long line with a reel attached to the barge do approximately the same job?

Edited by Codraroll

And speaking of Starlink, unless I’m missing something, the first operational Starlink launch is actually next in the cue, sometime this month. :D

And other than STP-2 and a few others, the rest of this year looks quite dry. :(

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

13 hours ago, Scotius said:

Quick and dirty engine test? Perhaps SpaceX is trying to speed up the process of refurbishment, by starting it on board the barge?

Nah - paintwork on the barge needed redoing. Step 1:  Remove the old paint.

2 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

You are adding more paint than you are removing...

Huh? I thought nine Merlin engines would do an excellent job of blowtorching the old paint off.

The actuated fins still sound really tricky to me. They need to be fast, high torque and reliable. But then, we also need to land on them! That poor bearing.

What else could you use though? Now they have the canards up front, maybe solid fins with deceleron style maneuvering airbrakes? Sounds heavy, but functional....

17 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

The actuated fins still sound really tricky to me. They need to be fast, high torque and reliable. But then, we also need to land on them! That poor bearing.

What else could you use though? Now they have the canards up front, maybe solid fins with deceleron style maneuvering airbrakes? Sounds heavy, but functional....

I was just thinking about that.  It's possible that the rear fins are locked in the skydiver position, and only actuate to the equally-spaced position during the final landing burn once the aerodynamic loads are gone.  That way, the actuators wouldn't have to be so beefy.   You'd use the canards to control both pitch and yaw.  I don't think you'd need to control roll, since the rear fins would stabilize the craft in that axis.

12 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I was just thinking about that.  It's possible that the rear fins are locked in the skydiver position, and only actuate to the equally-spaced position during the final landing burn once the aerodynamic loads are gone.  That way, the actuators wouldn't have to be so beefy.   You'd use the canards to control both pitch and yaw.  I don't think you'd need to control roll, since the rear fins would stabilize the craft in that axis.

Oh I see, so the rear fins won't need to provide active control any more, that's all gone to the canards, so instead they can just be locked into one of two positions. That does sound a lot easier!

16 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Oh I see, so the rear fins won't need to provide active control any more, that's all gone to the canards, so instead they can just be locked into one of two positions. That does sound a lot easier!

Don't get too excited--this is just speculation on my part, and I have no supporting evidence for it.  It just sorta makes sense in my mind.  And in KSP. :P