SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Whoa!

There appears to be 30 white lines, so I guess each one is a rectangle and there are two stacks of 30?

Either way, that seems like a really weird form factor for a satellite! And IIRC these don't have the sat to sat comms hardware, just sat to ground. I wonder if the final satellites will be larger, and if they will be able to fit the same amount in the fairing.

Elon says that they are flat packed, that there is no dispenser. It looks like they dispense from each other. Hopefully it's designed so that if one separator fails, the others can still deploy.

The analysts over at r/SpaceX have estimated the payload mass at 15-16 tons based on formerly known numbers and the positioning of the drone ship. This is most likely the heaviest Falcon 9 launch yet.

This is really thinking outside the box. Never occurred to me that they could fit 60 sats in there of that mass. They need ~2218 in orbit within about 5 years to keep their total constellation number. That's 37 launches of F9 in this configuration. They could do that in the last couple years if needed. As it is, they can do it in 5 with just 7-8 flights a year devoted to Starlink, no Starship needed.

Edited by tater

5 hours ago, sh1pman said:

SIXTY! :o

It's a satellite magazine!

Lock and load, team. And hopefully unlock again, once you get to space...

6 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Elon says that they are flat packed, that there is no dispenser. It looks like they dispense from each other. Hopefully it's designed so that if one separator fails, the others can still deploy.

The analysts over at r/SpaceX have estimated the payload mass at 15-16 tons based on formerly known numbers and the positioning of the drone ship. This is most likely the heaviest Falcon 9 launch yet.

15 ton then each weight 250 kg. 
As as they separate from each other one separation might leave the satellite below connected to it so it probably fail but it can still separate. 

35 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, but these are not cubesats. In fact, those were "nanosatellites." (1-10kg each).

For context:

Makes perfect sense, upper bulkhead is on top of the fuel tank part. You then put the nose on top of that. It will be equipment on top of the bulkhead similar to on the hopper but they will probably move computers and other stuff who don't need to be close to engines up here to as its easy to service on the floor in the cargo bay. 

Wait, I’ve been assuming something  that I think I need to be reigned in on.

starhopper currently the tank with no nose that has hopped up once with 1 raptor is sat at bocca chica. 

Orbital hopper is being built simultaneously but I had assumed they were building another hopper like structure only bigger and with 3 raptors bolted up. Am I wrong? 

Mate they actually just going to bolt the new orbital hopper nose being built onto the original 1 engine hopper and throw 3 engines on there and send it up? 

Edited by Jaff

5 minutes ago, Jaff said:

Wait, I’ve been assuming something  that I think I need to be reigned in on.

starhopper currently the tank with no nose that has hopped up once with 1 raptor is sat at bocca chica. 

Orbital hopper is being built simultaneously but I had assumed they were building another hopper like structure only bigger and with 3 raptors bolted up. Am I wrong? 

Mate they actually just going to bolt the new orbital hopper nose being built onto the original 1 engine hopper and throw 3 engines on there and send it up? 

The hopper will get 3 engines later. 

The orbital prototype is the other thing they build, if will have 7 engines and they hope to get it to orbit, they are also doing some construction on an first stage i think