SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Now that's impressive! I need to see that! Unfortunately it is probably going to be cloudy for a while and we are currently under a tornado watch. Also, both of the satellite tracking websites I visited don't list Starlink yet.

They're in darkness while they pass over N. America, still. Next time, maybe.

Also shuttle. Bottom of main tank got really scorched every time. High pressure at the front, low at the back, except the exhaust itself.
Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

Would they be visible at 10:30 given a sunset time of 8:26? There's a good pass at ~45 degrees elevation for me.

What software is showing the passes right now?

Just now, tater said:

Also shuttle. Bottom of main tank got really scorched every time. High pressure at the front, low at the back, except the exhaust itself.

What software is showing the passes right now?

Two line elements shown here:

http://www.satobs.org/seesat/May-2019/0207.html

Google "TLE converter," click first result, plug in lat/long, the two numbers, click load TLE, scroll down and click the 24 hour button.

Yeah, I wanted to load the TLE and plot them. Was hoping an online viewer like Heavens Above would have it...

OK, I got the app on my computer (SatObserver) to load the TLE. I tried earlier right after I posted the tweet, and it didn't seem to load, and closed the app. Brought it back up, and it was already selected.

Might see the next pass, actually.

Back of the envelope equations suggest that if the sats were directly overhead, they would be visible up to a bit past an hour after sunset. However, they aren't going to be directly overhead, but that math gets complicated. Two hours is probably a bit much to see them tonight, but if the clouds clear up I will try!

Someone on Twitter had an interesting thought that is quite relevant here- could this satellite constellation bring the next generation of Iridium flares (Starlink flares, I guess)? I mean, I guess we don't really know the reflective qualities of these spacecraft, do we?

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

2 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Someone on Twitterhad an interesting thought that is quite relevant here- could this satellite constellation bring the next generation of Iridium flares (Starlink flares, I guess)? I mean, I guess we don't really know the reflective qualities of these spacecraft, do we?

Not yet.

Had a tornado watch today, with warnings close by, so clouds prob won't clear up.

6 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Someone on Twitterhad an interesting thought that is quite relevant here- could this satellite constellation bring the next generation of Iridium flares (Starlink flares, I guess)? I mean, I guess we don't really know the reflective qualities of these spacecraft, do we?

I'm more concerned what this constellation is going to do to long exposure wide angle night sky photography. They might paint a massive grid on every photo. I expect some uproar in the Cloudy Nights community.

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

I'm more concerned what this constellation is going to do to long exposure wide angle night sky photography. They might paint a massive grid on every photo. I expect some uproar in the Cloudy Nights community.

As long as it's not too close to dusk or dawn they shouldn't be visible.

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I hadn't noticed that. Thermal considerations?

Presumably.

I haven't checked which launches have had them, and which have not. perhaps it relates to recovery (those with recovery hardware have it?).