SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

23 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Would they be visible at 10:30 given a sunset time of 8:26? There's a good pass at ~45 degrees elevation for me.

I'll be watching the sky tonight from the Badlands in SD, maybe I can send you a ping if I see them? I'm a little ahead of you.

Edit: Actually I won't be internet-connected because this constellation isn't online yet and I don't have service around here. Nevermind.

Edited by cubinator

3 hours ago, tater said:

Interesting... if I'm plugging it in right, I'm probably SOL for a number of reasons, but my wife is down in Phoenix right now and she might have a chance.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

I'll be watching the sky tonight from the Badlands in SD, maybe I can send you a ping if I see them? I'm a little ahead of you.

Edit: Actually I won't be internet-connected because this constellation isn't online yet and I don't have service around here. Nevermind.

Any idea what time you are expecting a pass?

I just saw a pass at 21:45 CDT from Houston. All I can say is that the real thing lives up to (and surpasses, in my opinion) the videos and pictures! That said, I did have the benefit of a clear sky and the peak elevation was 80 degrees, so your mileage may vary.

12 hours ago, Silavite said:

I just saw a pass at 21:45 CDT from Houston. All I can say is that the real thing lives up to (and surpasses, in my opinion) the videos and pictures! That said, I did have the benefit of a clear sky and the peak elevation was 80 degrees, so your mileage may vary.

We have a better pass tonight. I want to see them so I can decide how concerned I am.

Given reports so far, it's honestly pretty concerning. The total constellation is 12,000 sats. The initial one is "only" 4400. Other outfits are seeking something similar. I don't want the night sky to be crawling with ants.

50 minutes ago, tater said:

We have a better pass tonight. I want to see them so I can decide how concerned I am.

Given reports so far, it's honestly pretty concerning. The total constellation is 12,000 sats. The initial one is "only" 4400. Other outfits are seeking something similar. I don't want the night sky to be crawling with ants.

Yes, I've thought of that too. If successful, these things will be there all the time. You'll have to go to the Moon for a clear sky.

6 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Yes, I've thought of that too. If successful, these things will be there all the time. You'll have to go to the Moon for a clear sky.

I might find myself wanting SpaceX to fail badly. OTOH, Amazon, and others have similar plans, so this might well be inescapable.

It needs to be figured out (how visible they will be), then made enough of an issue that some effort is put into satellite design to minimize reflection.

9 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

Looks like they will go almost straight overhead fo me tonight at 9:40PM...and the weather forecast says clear... so I'll see what I can see.

Me as well, just West of Albuquerque otw NE.

They are gettign dimmer as they align themselves better. Still, i wonder if they could make the bottoms less reflective.

35 minutes ago, tater said:

Me as well, just West of Albuquerque otw NE.

They are gettign dimmer as they align themselves better. Still, i wonder if they could make the bottoms less reflective.

They could coat most of it with a non-reflective coating.

47 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

They could coat most of it with a non-reflective coating.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They only need to drop the magnitude a little, and it becomes substantially less of an issue.

5 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

https://www.n2yo.com/?s=74001

Probably won't be visible from Iowa, but there should be a second pass tonight if a different site is correct. Less cloudy today, so should be able to see them - fingers crossed. It's forecast as mostly cloudy for the next pass.

You can see that second pass go almost right over Albuquerque.