SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I counted about 30 in the main pack, but I also spotted some dim ones ahead of the main bunch by maybe up to a minute. I was using 7x50 binocs and have fairly dark conditions.

I was watching the dim leading ones with my binocs, first spotting some in Eridanus, and then along as they passed near the end of the handle of the Big Dipper. That's when my wife spotted the big pack with the three bright ones going past Denebola. The dim ones were hard to track because they would even fade in and out in the view through the binoculars.

Edited by Brotoro

8 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

That was impressive. There were three bright ones, and a whole line of dimmer ones, which sometimes glinted brighter.

We saw the same. Where are you?

6 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

I counted about 30 in the main pack, but I also spotted some dim ones ahead of the main bunch by maybe up to a minute. I was using 7x50 binocs and have fairly dark conditions.

We saw many as well with the binos.

I forgot to set my alarm a few minutes earlier, so I guess I missed this morning’s 3am pass, although I did see a bright sat moving SW (ISS?). I suppose it could have been a starlink with my eyes not being night-adapted to see the rest. By the time the next pass was due when I got to work, it was almost daybreak and everything was washed out of the sky except what I assumed to be Jupiter 

1 hour ago, Raven Industries said:

The Starlink train just passed by eastern NC. It's an incredible sight, dozens of pinpricks moving across the sky.

How bright was it? It was East for us (over TX?) and we could not see it, too much twilight, and some clouds.

12 minutes ago, tater said:

How bright was it? It was East for us (over TX?) and we could not see it, too much twilight, and some clouds.

I can't really quantify it, but the brightest ones were about on par with a small-looking star with the naked eye, while the dimmer ones required binoculars to see clearly. 

I watched the Starlink pass tonight. It was earlier, so the sky was still relatively light. And the altitude was 50 degrees (not 88 degrees like last night). I saw only one satellite that was naked eye brightness, and it was difficult to see the dimmer ones even with binoculars.

9 hours ago, Brotoro said:

I watched the Starlink pass tonight. It was earlier, so the sky was still relatively light. And the altitude was 50 degrees (not 88 degrees like last night). I saw only one satellite that was naked eye brightness, and it was difficult to see the dimmer ones even with binoculars.

My son and I (and a buddy nearby who I was texting with) were looking for that one, didn't see it.

35 minutes ago, tater said:

Anything that simplifies leg design (assuming that is what is going on) is a good thing. Seems like a nasty point of failure (the hinge concept).

Do we know that the design changes are getting rid of hinges?  All we know (from what I've seen) is that it is changing, but there are no details about the type of changes.

16 minutes ago, tater said:

A 93% success rate is pretty good for a system with so many unflown components, especially that deployment mechanism.

I wonder how it compares to the success rate of conventional satellite payloads.

1 hour ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Do we know that the design changes are getting rid of hinges?  All we know (from what I've seen) is that it is changing, but there are no details about the type of changes.

It would be a bad marketing synergy to get rid of hinges just as the new robotics DLC drops...

3 hours ago, Nightside said:

It would be a bad marketing synergy to get rid of hinges just as the new robotics DLC drops...

He wanted stock robotics and he got stock robotics, why does he still need it on his rocket now that they put it in stock? :P