SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

So it looks like they are building the top part(s) first and will probably start building the bottom part(s) after the hopper does all the testing.

Any word on when the hopper starts hopping again? Around the end of this month maybe?

24 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

So it looks like they are building the top part(s) first and will probably start building the bottom part(s) after the hopper does all the testing.

Any word on when the hopper starts hopping again? Around the end of this month maybe?

It was scheduled for tomorrow, but has been pushed back to the 17th through 19th.

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Per the “Which engine is more ready” discussion in another thread, there is one thing I don’t recall hearing about the Raptor engine: Has it had a (successful) full mission duration firing yet? With or without the landing cycle burns?

I was under the impression that raptor engines had already done long duration firings, but I could not say for certain.

Wiki refers to a 100 second burn by Sep 2017, but does not refer to anything longer than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor_(rocket_engine_family)#Engine_testing

11 hours ago, Terwin said:

I was under the impression that raptor engines had already done long duration firings, but I could not say for certain.

Wiki refers to a 100 second burn by Sep 2017, but does not refer to anything longer than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raptor_(rocket_engine_family)#Engine_testing

Think that is pretty outdated now. Was 2017 even the production engines or an scaled down one?
Engine testing is not something you publish especially then you do destructive level of testing, they test all the merlin engines there to. 

41 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Think that is pretty outdated now. Was 2017 even the production engines or an scaled down one?
Engine testing is not something you publish especially then you do destructive level of testing, they test all the merlin engines there to. 

One and a half months ago they did a 40s test of a full scale Raptor Engine. Im quite sure they did longer tests after that but i can't be 100% sure.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39182.640

51 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I think someone must be confused.

Well, retuning the second stage would be a very Elon way of sticking it to the Air Force after that nasty contract business... Vandenberg finally got to see the one-around, 1000-mile cross range flight the Space Shuttle never made. :sticktongue:

I just watched a video about how they assemble grain bins (silos) on site in the fields. So they won't need cranes, they assemble it one ring at a time on the ground and then use hydraulics to jack the whole structure up for the next ring. I hope Elon's taking notes...

XXBK42y.jpg

(the video, from Smarter Every Day)

Spoiler

Edit: </sarcasm> :)

Edited by Cunjo Carl

6 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

I just watched a video about how they assemble grain bins (silos) on site in the fields. So they won't need cranes, they assemble it one ring at a time on the ground and then use hydraulics to jack the whole structure up for the next ring. I hope Elon's taking notes...

This is the same basic technique for how they build construction cranes. They are modular and recursive. The top of the crane is able to surround a tower section. So they winch up a tower section and install it. Then the base of the top of the crane crawls up to the new top of the tower. If the crane needs to be higher, they just do it again.

tower-crane18.jpg

On 6/13/2019 at 9:15 PM, mikegarrison said:

I think someone must be confused.

They might fish the second stage out of the Pacific, but there's no way that the second stage is returning to Vandenburg.  I don't think it was a Falcon Heavy either, which would make it easy to make that mistake with the two "return to launch site" boosters.

6 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Interesting design, but I think the final Starship will be built horizontally in factories, similarly to Falcon 9.