SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Agreed, but again, it was a failure in that their desired goal was to try and save a booster that would otherwise have been expended. They always reduce expectations on "extreme" recoveries (not on RTLS, or common ones, now, however), and in this case Musk specifically said recovery of the core in this case was a 50% chance due to the increased velocity at MECO.

10 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

@tater I was referring to the rocket deliberately missing the boat when it knew it was damaged, to save OCISLY.

So it did fail to land as originally intended, but appears to have succeeded in its landing abort.

That I don't know. I know Musk said as much (vaguely), but the ocean is huge, and missing is the default case, honestly. Seems like virtually any failure will result in a miss. For ASDS landings, this is a good thing, but for RTLS landings, a "miss" needs to miss in a much more specific way than missing the ASDS.

Ok, so, the attempted experimental landing of the center core at an unprecedented distance down range was a failed. But much valuable data was gained. 

I wonder if they will try to reinforce the problem area or develop a “light” core intended to be expended. 

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

Ok, so, the attempted experimental landing of the center core at an unprecedented distance down range was a failed. But much valuable data was gained. 

Expending this core might have left enough propellant to deorbit S2, instead of graveyard it. You are right that they gained useful data, real life testing is how SpaceX rolls.

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

I wonder if they will try to reinforce the problem area or develop a “light” core intended to be expended. 

I think the only "light" aspect of an expendable core would be deleting the expensive grid fins (I suppose they could empty the hydraulics associated with those, and dump additional TEA-TEB used in restarts, as well for some small mass saving).

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Yer, every attempt is a valuable piece of experience! I hope they do beef up the area in question so the center core can survive more extreme conditions, but if not I’m sure if they just didn’t push it to such extremes it would probably have been fine.

Maybe don’t make them aerobrake for a thousand kilometres next time >_<!

3 hours ago, tater said:

I think the only "light" aspect of an expendable core would be deleting the expensive grid fins (I suppose they could empty the hydraulics associated with those, and dump additional TEA-TEB used in restarts, as well for some small mass saving).

Don't forget the cost and weight of the landing legs and associated systems!

They plan to cram 1000 passengers into that!? I don't know why but I thought it would be more like 150-200 per flight.

Edit: OK, so a 747 has a capacity of up to 660. Makes sense now.

11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This is, perhaps, not the best phrasing to win hearts and minds... :unsure:

Sounds like a fun ride to me.

Edited by Wjolcz

12 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

They plan to cram 1000 passengers into that!? I don't know why but I thought it would be more like 150-200 per flight.

Edit: OK, so a 747 has a capacity of up to 660. Makes sense now.

I think it was going to be 100 people for Mars trips (relying on my mysterious memory though so no idea where I heard or saw that.)

12 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:
11 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

This is, perhaps, not the best phrasing to win hearts and minds... :unsure:

Sounds like a fun ride to me.

I think it was more from the point of view of countries being onboard with the idea (you need destinations before you send people to them) saying “it’s just like an ICBM ^_^, so yer... can I land it next to your major cities?” Isn’t a picture to paint. But hey, he’s supposed to make rockets not poetry XD

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Xd the great said:

those canards at the top of the booster is small, not expected to do a lot of drag.

Those fins in the middle of booster... well...

They aren't on top though, so that might not be that big of a problem. And maybe they could actually fold them and roll towards where the upper winds are blowing to minimize any unwanted pushing forces.

What if instead of using fins they kept the landing legs in the bottom section of the hull (where the engines are) and used extendable 'airbrakes' of sorts. Basically what Everyday Astronaut did in his video except more flush.

Edited by Wjolcz

If a flight is only 20 minutes and it involves anything close to a full g or greater, there won't be any bathrooms. In the first instance, the trip isn't long enough for them to be necessary and in the second it won't be safe for people to move about the cabin.