SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

20 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Except Delta IV of course, it's designed to do that.

Sort of. Once. That's not the same thing as saying it could be reused again after.

Anyway, I once again point out that this is TEST HARDWARE. Most test hardware is designed to different levels of robustness than flight hardware. The fact that this was a piece of test hardware designed to fly does mean they couldn't go all-out plating it with battleship armor, but still it is almost certainly designed to be more robust in many respects than production flight hardware will eventually be. In other respects, it may be much less robust than production flight hardware (cf. earlier discussion about re-entry heating).

It seems pretty silly to say that this "hopper" should or should not be able to survive the event because of what we expect a production starship would be able to survive.

Edited by mikegarrison

Just now, mikegarrison said:

but still it is almost certainly designed to be more robust than production flight hardware will eventually be.

Flight hardware will be built to handle way, way worse conditions that that brief fireball...

2 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

Sweet! I will read it as "two weeks" because of the always present Elon time. Still not that long of a wait after what we saw imo.

I think I have an idea what it would be like to work for Elon... one of my teachers has aspirational ideas about how long it should take us to have assignments completed, but then the date comes around and no one is finished them because it’s impossible. I said as much to him a couple of times to strange responses, that’s when I realised it was just to light a fire under people because many don’t knuckle down until the deadline.

(The video about Crew Dragon parachutes).

1. Why do they not show the very end of landing of the safest, most advanced systems ever built?
As I can see, twice it overturns and once starts bouncing. Is it normal, when the capsule is twice as big as Soyuz?

2. Will the parachute hatch caps (which get jettisonned on the video) get equipped with their own mini-chutes and made reusable like the Falson main shroud?

12 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Why do they not show the very end of landing of the safest, most advanced systems ever built?
As I can see, twice it overturns and once starts bouncing. Is it normal, when the capsule is twice as big as Soyuz?

Because in those they’re testing deployment, not landing. ;) D2 is not meant to land on land unless something goes really wrong. Would probably crumple capsule. 

20 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

1. Why do they not show the very end of landing of the safest, most advanced systems ever built?

2. Will the parachute hatch caps (which get jettisonned on the video) get equipped with their own mini-chutes and made reusable like the Falson main shroud?

Every drop over land is a test article that is entirely to test the chute deployments, the system only lands at sea.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Thanks for the convenient point form >_<.

1. It splashes down in the water like a happy dolphin at the end ^_^ you like dolphins don’t you!?!?!?

2. I wouldn’t be surprised if parts of the parachute system were a one time use thing for safety... 

I’m bummed that instead of a propulsive lander we got a splashdown capsule but not too bummed. We got a big shiny starship instead @_@!

Edited by Guest

37 minutes ago, Dale Christopher said:

you like dolphins don’t you!?!?!?

Sexual predators of the sea.

37 minutes ago, Dale Christopher said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if parts of the parachute system were a one time use thing for safety...

Wait, IIRC isn't the entire Crew Dragon a one-time use item? I thought that the saltwater was a dealbreaker. Or am I thinking of something else? Or let me see, was it that the capsules would only be used with crew once, and then after that they would be used only for cargo flights?

Edited by mikegarrison

18 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Sexual predators of the sea.

Wait, IIRC isn't the entire Crew Dragon a one-time use item? I thought that the saltwater was a dealbreaker. Or am I thinking of something else? Or let me see, was it that the capsules would only be used with crew once, and then after that they would be used only for cargo flights?

Wellllllll...... I guess. I think they only plan on using fresh capsules for manned trips in Dragon’s current state, but the capsule will probably be reused for cargo missions afterward (that’s the last I heard about it, maybe it’s changed).

41 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Or let me see, was it that the capsules would only be used with crew once, and then after that they would be used only for cargo flights?

Yes, this is how it stands right now. Tho the same was initially true of Dragon 1, too, NASA wasn't originally on board with re-use, but now they've come around, and several have been.

(About the Crew Dragon LES test.)

If I got this right, the capsule exploded not due to the engine damage, but because of some fuel leakage
How much fuel has leaked that the capsule got blown apart just in no time, with no fire?

The capsule is 3x4 m large, ~7..8 t heavy, and disappeared at once.
The fuel is  MMH monopropellant (I guess, there was only one leakage, not both?)

So,
* have the humans and the ship computer brain not noticed a massive leakage from a fuel tank, so, there was no alarm?
or
* even a so tiny that invisible for the computer leakage will cause a capsule explosion?

Do they still think that it was a good idea to save fuel by using the self-igniting MMH instead of UDMH?

Edited by kerbiloid

34 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

(About the Crew Dragon LES test.)

If I got this right, the capsule exploded not due to the engine damage, but because of some fuel leakage
How much fuel has leaked that the capsule got blown apart just in no time, with no fire?

The capsule is 3x4 m large, ~7..8 t heavy, and disappeared at once.
The fuel is  MMH monopropellant (I guess, there was only one leakage, not both?)

So,
* have the humans and the ship computer brain not noticed a massive leakage from a fuel tank, so, there was no alarm?
or
* even a so tiny that invisible for the computer leakage will cause a capsule explosion?

Do they still think that it was a good idea to save fuel by using the self-igniting MMH instead of UDMH?

The fuel is MMH and the oxidizer is NTO. The leak was just in the NTO system, and only a tiny amount leaked. It leaked backwards through a supposedly one way valve into the helium pressurization system. When the helium system went to full pressure (to pressurize the fuel tanks for engine firing) this fuel was pushed back through the one way valve at very high speed and pressure. The fuel, through a combination of impact damage and combustion with the valve upon impact (which was not expected) destroyed the valve and the helium pressure blew the whole vehicle apart, including the tanks. Then, the propellant burned.

The leak was too tiny to notice, it would have only taken a tiny bit of NTO to cause that damage.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

[Better explanation than Scott Manley]

Yes, basically the poor Dragon shot itself with an NTO bullet, which caused a metal fire. Let that sink in. :o Preferably while running the other way. 

And it’s actually happened before, a few times, if not as dramatic. There was a Mars probe a few years ago that likely met a similar fate due to a leaky valve.