SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Hold at 2 minutes...

Lotta vapors around the base... This is my first chance to watch one of these...

E go for test! 90 seconds Bob

*burp*

They should have saved the Dragon name for this beast, with all that fire belching. Test aborted after about 3.4 seconds of firing...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

5 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Hold at 2 minutes...

Lotta vapors around the base... This is my first chance to watch one of these...

E go for test! 90 seconds Bob

*burp*

They should have saved the Dragon name for this beast, with all that fire belching. Test aborted after about 3.4 seconds of firing...

Did you watch the first stream by accident? That sounds exactly like what happened one hour ago. They are going for a second attempt right now but no official stream yet.

7 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Did you watch the first stream by accident? That sounds exactly like what happened one hour ago. They are going for a second attempt right now but no official stream yet.

Maybe. I clicked on the stream a page back and had no way of knowing it wasn't live.... doh. ya whoop, my bad. I'll go sit in the box and feel shame...

Okay, found the EA stream. That looks better, if a little dark... *whistles innocently*

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Spoiler

Testing a possible Starship windward side ceramic tile. Maximizing emissivity is best for conductive/particle heating. Nice thing about steel is that tiles can be very thin, unlike carbon fiber or aluminum airframe.

Steel ships are from pre-aluminium epoch, i.e. pre-aviation, i.e. from steel+coal steampunk times.

A rocket engineer in XIX/early-XX is reading this article letter telegraph message:

"Well, this fancy aluminium expectedly appears to be a waste of money, compared to the good old steel. As I told them.

Carbon fiber? "Carbon" means "coal". Do they gather fibers of coal dust? Probably. But weave a ship hull of such fibers? What a strange idea. The coal is fuel, they should burn it in the rocket, not make it from.
Though, anyway  it appears to be same bad as aluminium. Who could imagine that a blanket of coal dust is a worse material than steel?..

But the ceramic tiles on top of the rocket look ingenious, I like it.
So, they cover the rocket with fired clay tiles, just like a house roof, to protect it from wind, and probably rain. Also it should protect from headwind when the rocket runs fast.

Maybe even they just buy up potsherds from the junkers on the city market, instead of good tiles.
This costs almost nothing and anyway most of these tiles will shower down from the rocket in flight. I'll try this way first.
(TODO: equip the ground team with helmets to protect their heads from falling tiles.)

Awe... norminal test ploz 

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

They should have saved the Dragon name for this beast, with all that fire belching. 

We should think up a better name than BFRship. What animal breaths fire and flys but can also beat a dragon in a fight? 

Hmmmm.

Edited by Guest

Spoiler
9 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

A dragonbeating firefly.

I think Firefly is already taken as a class of spaceship >_<