SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Looks like the 1st stage is 1.5 times taller.
So, probably requires legs 1.5 times wider (or 2 times, as much more expensive) if land on a barge which is less stable than ground.
I.e. + 10 m of width

P.S.
Can they just rent a dismissed aircraft carrier and put the whole rocket facility there?

Edited by kerbiloid

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Looks like the 1st stage is 1.5 times taller.
So, probably requires legs 1.5 times wider (or 2 times, as much more expensive) if land on a barge which is less stable than ground.
I.e. + 10 m of width

P.S.
Can they just rent a dismissed aircraft carrier and put the whole rocket facility there?

I feel like it's better to build some sort of mobile oil rig-like structure instead.

My goodness...I had a long look at the image tweeted on the previous page, of the Starship/Super Heavy compared to an F9 and Saturn V...

Super Heavy is almost 50% bigger than the S-IC, and they're planning to land it propulsively. It's literally skyscraper-sized...:o

7 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

I feel like it's better to build some sort of mobile oil rig-like structure instead.

I feel like the answer is already probably in the original suborbital flight vid. (Whatever thing Starship was landing on is probably a planned vessel :o 

7 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

My goodness...I had a long look at the image tweeted on the previous page, of the Starship/Super Heavy compared to an F9 and Saturn V...

Super Heavy is almost 50% bigger than the S-IC, and they're planning to land it propulsively. It's literally skyscraper-sized...:o

SpaceX released the Enviroment Impact statement for their KSC Starship plans.

The lightning suppression sistem it literally "Ground the Superheavy into the existing lightning suppression system- it is it's own lightning tower"

1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

"Ground the Superheavy into the existing lightning suppression system- it is it's own lightning tower"

Kind of risky. The charge should probably flow around the outside of the skin, but if it finds a path through the inside it could cause damage. This is basically the same strategy that airplanes use, but occasionally they do take some damage.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

It is. But is it attached to an underground big metal when the rocket just stands on ground?

Yer, the skin would be connected to the ground by a removable bridge, probably a copper plate if it’s anything like the systems for buildings in my country.

Although I guess it wouldn’t be built into the pad... cos of heat issues. Maybe cabling of some sort that they would run out to the ship...

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Kind of risky. The charge should probably flow around the outside of the skin, but if it finds a path through the inside it could cause damage. This is basically the same strategy that airplanes use, but occasionally they do take some damage.

Main danger as I see it is not the cargo or passenger section but the wiring between the equipment bays on top of oxygen tank and the engine compartment who tend to pass trough an tunnel on the outside of the tanks. You also has the RCS cluster at the nose who will also have plenty of wiring. Add various antennas. 
Skin itself no issues, assume you will ground the launch hold down clamps anyway. 

Don't ignore lighting, my favorite story was an flock of sheep who was found dead below an high power transfer line in the mountains in Norway, sheep owner blamed the power company probably an electrical fault, perhaps during rainstorms and the tower gave some protection from the wind. 
It was lighting, high power lines has extra lighting rod wires above the power lines, they are grounded at each mast, simply an copper wire laid in an spiral around the foundation. 
Well some of the lighting had passed from the spiral trough the sheep into ground. Think the outer part was not dug deep down  as this was mountain so not much soil. 

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

The day after school starts.

were are u from? The neighboring state started a month ago and my state starts Tuesday. U R lucky my friend

13 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I think the F9 tech is designes to be scaled. 

I am more worried about the droneship, if it can take that much weight, or if the droneshop can stay so presicely afloat (+-0.9m) after landing SH.

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Don't ignore lighting, my favorite story was an flock of sheep who was found dead below an high power transfer line in the mountains in Norway, sheep owner blamed the power company probably an electrical fault, perhaps during rainstorms and the tower gave some protection from the wind. 
It was lighting, high power lines has extra lighting rod wires above the power lines, they are grounded at each mast, simply an copper wire laid in an spiral around the foundation. 
Well some of the lighting had passed from the spiral trough the sheep into ground. Think the outer part was not dug deep down  as this was mountain so not much soil. 

I know a guy who was knocked out by ground currents from a nearby lightning strike. All that charge doesn't just disappear when it hits the ground. https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-science-ground-currents

If you are ever caught out in the open while lightning is striking in the area, it is best to squat low but not lay down.

Edited by mikegarrison

50 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

On August freaking 24th?!?!?!?!?!?!?

They said 2 months, or was it 1-2 months, a few days ago?!?!?!?!?

Someone tie a rope on Musk fast! I think he's falling into a timewarp and it's getting stronger @_@!

surely he actually meant hopper?!?!?!

Edited by Guest