SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, tater said:

Hmm, the article says possibly 24 Starship launches annually but if Elon is saying an order of magnitude above that... he expects 20 SS/SH launches per month? >_<

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

I thought this one was original lol

Somehow the original thread, years ago, was merged with the Blue Origin and Orion/SLS threads somehow, confusing everyone including the moderators. They weren't able to separate the thread, so after a short period of time where nobody was allowed to make new treads on the topic while the mods tried to figure out what happened, new threads had to be created.

Or the old thread fell over trying to land on a barge.

12 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

I'm not a psychologist of course, but only "get moar" psychology brings enormous money.
If such person loses money here, he's probably getting moar somewhere else, thanks to this lost. Or at least, saves.
(Of course, if he's the real owner of this money).

You arnt accounting for "Get in on the ground floor, Get lucky, win big" type fortunes. Elon got the vast majority of his money from helping develop Paypal, and he got enough money from selling his part of that one company to start a car company and a rocket company, and beat the odds with both of them as well.

21 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Elon got the vast majority of his money from helping develop Paypal, and he got enough money from selling his part of that one company to start a car company and a rocket company, and beat the odds with both of them as well.

Tesla lost 700 mln USD this year.
Tesla laid off 7% of its employees this year.

Still keeps funding Tesla just out of kindness, losing billions yearly?
Then why lays off?
If is out of money and has to lay off, why just 7%?
Why keep Tesla when the space is obviously a priority?

Probably, I just have a little higher opinion about his business skills than his fans do...
I believe, he is a cynically pragmatic businessman. Where he gets money to spend them on space and cars I don't know and don't have intention to know. He just knows right places.

Edited by kerbiloid

The ride in the slide wire’s basket from the 265-foot level of the launch pad tower takes approximately 20 seconds to reach a landing zone about 1,200 feet (366 meters) away. 

265 ft = 4 s of free fall.

Next gen escape system.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

38 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

You laugh now, but the following picture is no joke an option that was seriously considered during the Constellation program days:

rollercoaster_zoom.jpg

This is the escape pods on an oil platform. 
8945906_orig.jpg

Yes they works as you assume they work. 
Being submerged the first part of the trip is an benefit if the water is on fire. 

You are required to do an drill using the pods during the offshore qualification training. Also an helicopter bailout after water landing. 
People who do the training is either scared out of their mind or want an second go. 

Edited by magnemoe

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Next gen escape system.

Didn’t they have something much like this during the original Apollo install? A great, big slide that led down to an underground bunker?

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

You are required to do an drill using the pods during the offshore qualification training. Also an helicopter bailout after water landing. 
People who do the training is either scared out of their mind or want an second go. 

Part of me would be screaming “flarp yeah, woohoo!” 

The bits that matter, however, would be huddled up in the corner rocking back and forth and whimpering something about a “happy place...” :wacko:

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

When I worked for an oil company, I didn't get to do the lifeboat training (my assigned evacuation was a slide/tube thingy), but I did get to do HUET (Helicopter Underwater Egress Training).  It was easily the most fun I had at that job.  Basically, you:

--Strap into a 4-point harness in a training fuselage
--Wait for the craft to get dunked
--Take a huge, deep breath just as it flips upside down with you still strapped in (because helicopters are top-heavy)
--Then wait another seven seconds, under water, upside down, strapped into a seat, to make sure there's no fast-moving debris in the water around the helicopter
--Hold on to the seat with one hand while unlatching the harness with the other
--Pull yourself to an exit
--Open the exit and swim out

Smarter Every Day did a decent video on it not too long ago: 

5 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

You laugh now, but the following picture is no joke an option that was seriously considered during the Constellation program days:

rollercoaster_zoom.jpg

That is ridiculous

19 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

If something ever goes very bad, and people have to use that to escape an exploding rocket, they will by default be the most awesome people on the planet.

I think they have a better chance in the LES