SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

If something ever goes very bad, and people have to use that to escape an exploding rocket, they will by default be the most awesome people on the planet.

Anyone who escape an exploding rocket by any means gets to be considered pretty awesome.

5 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

Yeah... That looks to be quite a bit slower on the ol' abort switch than I would like.

IIRC the crew couldn't trigger it manually and the mission control abort wiring had burnt through. They had to get the radio activated abort to work and that took several seconds.

1 hour ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

That is ridiculous

I think they have a better chance in the LES

Not the pad crew, tho. :wacko:

36 minutes ago, tater said:

Anyone who escape an exploding rocket by any means gets to be considered pretty awesome.

Bonus points if they wore their brown pants that day. 

32 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And yet, few people know who Vladimir Titov and Gennady Strekalov are.

And fewer still know their commentary immediately after aborting, they switched off the recorders cuz they were swearing so much. :o

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Ms. Tree and Ms. Chief

Mystery and Mischief

Will they buy Ms. Fit?

32 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Bonus points if they wore their brown pants that day. 

Leather trousers to easily slide down on that Apollo Disney system without burning from back.

34 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And fewer still know their commentary immediately after aborting, they switched off the recorders cuz they were swearing so much. 

The automatic speech filter made the record empty.

12 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I wonder what the Soviet Officers were thinking

If translate everything respecting the forum rules, it would be just one word
"Wow!"

Edited by kerbiloid

I think this one got missed:

:cool:

Man, some big-budget movies don’t have space suits that look this good! And these are real.

ETA: Also, good article at Teslarati. These suits aren’t EVA- rated, I wonder what SpaceX will come up with for that eventuality, given the current NASA suit design is some 40ish years old. 

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

23 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Man, some big-budget movies don’t have space suits that look this good! And these are real.

I'm not all that impressed with the suits, unless for whatever reason they are way more comfortable/functional.

5 minutes ago, tater said:

I'm not all that impressed with the suits, unless for whatever reason they are way more comfortable/functional.

Well, just looking at them, they look considerably more comfortable than the bulky, wrinkly things the other guys wear. I’d be very curious to hear what the astronauts themselves have to say about which they prefer, but I doubt if they’d be allowed to state such.  

49 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Well, just looking at them, they look considerably more comfortable than the bulky, wrinkly things the other guys wear. I’d be very curious to hear what the astronauts themselves have to say about which they prefer, but I doubt if they’d be allowed to state such.  

Yea, they do look waaay more advanced and sci-fi than the suits from Shuttle and Soyuz (Sokol). Boeing suit is ok.

oaw2QiP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I’d like to see the testing on them. Two flights into space on mannequins don’t make a good space suit. The ability to keep me alive when the capsule pressure fails or there’s some significant emergency that necessitates the suit on. 

Sudden depressurization is always a possibility (you plan for what could happen for its better to be prepared for something that’s unlikely than to risk the lives of the crew because “it won’t fail”) and it’s very rough- the ACES suit balloons up very rapidly- how does the SpaceX suit handle this. How does it affect the occupant. 

Lastly it irks me to no end that it has no way to intake air. It looks slicker but sometimes you have to wait multiple days to get to the ISS (let’s not even humor Musk’s intent to go to the moon in those things- unless he can engineer a whole new space suit in less than 2 years after the first manned flight of D2 and his supposed #DearMoon flight of BFR/Super Heavy).

14 minutes ago, tater said:

And ULA, I can’t imagine ULA wouldn’t bid on a USAF contract. They’ve been their go to launch agency for nearly a decade. 

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Sudden depressurization is always a possibility (you plan for what could happen for its better to be prepared for something that’s unlikely than to risk the lives of the crew because “it won’t fail”) and it’s very rough- the ACES suit balloons up very rapidly- how does the SpaceX suit handle this. How does it affect the occupant. 

Lastly it irks me to no end that it has no way to intake air. It looks slicker but sometimes you have to wait multiple days to get to the ISS (let’s not even humor Musk’s intent to go to the moon in those things- unless he can engineer a whole new space suit in less than 2 years after the first manned flight of D2 and his supposed #DearMoon flight of BFR/Super Heavy).

Indeed. When questioned about it, Musk has said that it can keep you safe in a vacuum chamber. That is a long ways from keeping you safe in space's extreme temperature environment.