SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

clearly fan speculation- there's a Facebook user watermark, but the only SpaceX logo is on the render.

Of course it is a speculation, I thought it was obvious. They haven’t released any Mars suit photos yet, probably haven’t even started working on it. 

The render is still nice, though.

Edited by sh1pman

2 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Only reason SpaceX suit looks so sleek, is because it is being worn by a ~20 year old model. This is what they actually look like, when Astros are wearing them:

That... that still looks pretty sleek and futuristic to me, just sayin'.

But of course as cool as the thing looks (coolest looking real space suit yet IMO), that's not the important part.

1 minute ago, kerbiloid said:

But orange is both new black and helps to find the suit in a sea of blues.

So, I vote for orange.

Orange is my favorite color. So I guess I have to agree, lol.

3 hours ago, Reactordrone said:

2 x 0 = 0

Double internal pressure maybe?

Yes.

Vac outside, and 2 Atm inside.

Way overkill for the operational regime of such a suit, but good to know it doesn't KB at that point.

2 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

That... that still looks pretty sleek and futuristic to me, just sayin'.

But of course as cool as the thing looks (coolest looking real space suit yet IMO), that's not the important part.

Orange is my favorite color. So I guess I have to agree, lol.

The suits should be primarily gray, with white accents, so as to hide stains and smudges better

38 minutes ago, tater said:

From link:

Spoiler

Issue Date :    August 13, 2019 at 1703 UTC

Beginning Date and Time :August 16, 2019 at 1900 UTC

Ending Date and Time :August 19, 2019 at 0500 UTC

Reason for NOTAM :TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIROMENT FOR ROCKET LAUNCH AND RECOVERY PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91

Type :Space Operations

Airspace Definition:
Center:    On the BROWNSVILLE VORTAC (BRO) 061 degree radial at 12.6 nautical miles. (Latitude: 25º59'51"N, Longitude: 97º09'26"W)
Radius:    1.4 nautical miles
Altitude:    From the surface up to and including 8000 feet MSL
Effective Date(s):
From August 16, 2019 at 1900 UTC
To August 17, 2019 at 0500 UTC
From August 17, 2019 at 1900 UTC
To August 18, 2019 at 0500 UTC
From August 18, 2019 at 2300 UTC
To August 19, 2019 at 0500 UTC

Summary:

daily 6-10 hour no-fly zones from the 16th to the 19th

(2pm-midnight on fri/sat, 6pm-midnight on Sun)

If I was running the testing, I'd put the suit in a pressure chamber, pressurize the entire chamber to 3 atmospheres, seal the suit, and then gradually release pressure on the chamber. This tests pressure gradient resistance at 200% operational.

Then, I'd repeat but only pressurize the chamber to 2.41 atmospheres, seal the suit, and then blow the chamber. Simulating explosive decompression at 200% of operational mass-jerk/area.

Edited by sevenperforce

18 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Three atmospheres inside, one outside.

The suit can't tell the difference between absolute pressure and gauge pressure; it is tested based on pressure differential.

This and over pressure has been an standard test dating back to the age of steam. 
Probably older for testing cannons. 
Makes some sense as having your cannon becoming an half ton pipe bomb on an gun deck would be bad. 

Edited by magnemoe

27 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

If I was running the testing, I'd put the suit in a pressure chamber, pressurize the entire chamber to 3 atmospheres, seal the suit, and then gradually release pressure on the chamber. This tests pressure gradient resistance at 200% operational.

Then, I'd repeat but only pressurize the chamber to 2.41 atmospheres, seal the suit, and then blow the chamber. Simulating explosive decompression at 200% of operational mass-jerk/area.

The time derivative of velocity is acceleration; the time derivative of acceleration is jerk. The time derivative of momentum is force; the time derivative of force is force onset rate or mass-jerk. The time derivative of mass flux is pressure; the time derivative of pressure would have units kg/m*s^3, which is power density...which I suppose represents the amount of energy being dissipated through a cross-sectional thickness of the fabric per second during the decompression.

I love dimensional analysis.

EDIT: Also the time-derivative of angular momentum is energy and the time-derivative of energy is power. 

Edited by sevenperforce
More dimensional analysis

21 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

So the paranoia about ULA secretly freezing SpaceX out of the fairing market was maybe a little overblown?

Yeah, clearly.

The problem is people are hungry for virtually constant information, and that's not the way the real world works, lol.

Regardless, it's interesting to see work on a new (presumably longer*---see, I'm doing the speculation thing myself, right now, lol) fairing.

*I'm also assuming it's related to military launches where the longer fairing might be useful.

Edited by tater