SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

20 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I like the puffy space suits

Launch/Entry suits generally aren't puffy, since you generally only wear them when seatbelted into a chair.

They're not EVA suits, they're pressurized flight suits.

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

But I guess Dragonriding isn’t that far off of motorcycle riding.  

Just don't press the big red "Abort" button.
it aborts the mission. Spectacularly.

3 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I like the puffy space suits.

Then Marshmallow spacesuit is the best.

Spoiler

75da64319fd5df73b411d909a3659141.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

I bet on Skybot F-850 and open tunics for operators in a rented coworking.

Not so many humans are required in space.

If speak about far future with crews of 20, no emergency suits are appropriate. The habitat itself should be safe.
Maybe, some compressing film sprayed on the body and a breathing respirator, for evacuation.
In this case you still don't need spacesuits even near Pluto, just send avatarbots and possess their bodies from the safe orbital habitat.

Enough advanced science should look like magic. So, I would believe in a bath robe and slippers rather than in heroically looking ironman supersuit.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I think the future of space suits will eventually be mechanical counter-pressure.

Like really tight suits? Aren't there problems with that? I thought they were't developed yet because the skin needs to 'breathe', but then it could probably be dealt with with enough microtubes or some special oxygen-rich gel, or something.

Edited by Wjolcz

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:00 AM, sh1pman said:

Also, googling “SpaceX Mars suit” found this:

d36df1200b4742467108ee3f7039abfc.jpg

Nice. 

I'm pretty sure that is a suit from the game Star Citizen:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=star+citizen+space+suits&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP2p2vkoLkAhUrysQBHekSDWAQ_AUIESgB&biw=923&bih=501#spf=1565778272773

16 minutes ago, Nothalogh said:

If I recall, the A-12 and SR-71 suits were done this way.

9 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

They weren't. 

Ssssssort of. I was just reading a thing but I can’t find it now, but anyways, instead of a pressure envelope like an EVA suit they used inflatable bladders, akin to fighter pilot G-suits. Lose pressure, and the bladders inflate, maintaining limited mechanical pressure to the most important bits. So kinda both. 

7 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

Like really tight suits? Aren't there problems with that?

There are problems with everything. But you only need air for your head. The rest of you is actually OK being exposed to the vacuum of space. Mechanical pressure ("a really tight suit") keeps you from the bruising and swelling that you would otherwise get, without all the joint rigidity and bulkiness problems that air pressure suits face.

The main problem with MCP is figuring out how to get them on and off without it being an extreme workout.

MCP suits are generally intended to transpire sweat, which allows you to use your natural evaporative cooling. (Cooling is usually a bigger problem than heating in space.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_counterpressure_suit

1 hour ago, Barzon Kerman said:

They weren't. 

de0e3ee18622325c009db4b8c190d88d.jpg

That's the portable cooling pack he's carrying, a portable dewar of LOX.

The plane had an onboard LOX dewar that was used for crew cooling, and systems cooling.

Cold GOX would flow throughout the suit, to approximate climate control, since the cabin had none, but pressure was applied mechanically via expansion tubes that constricted the fabric of the suit.

I believe Frank covers the suit system, here.
https://youtu.be/MGdxpqqsHl8

Edited by Nothalogh

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

The main problem with MCP is figuring out how to get them on and off without it being an extreme workout.

Make them of bands.

All the human is made of bands turned around sticks.

Edited by kerbiloid