SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

9 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I hope they got enough science from these four Mystery Goo canisters to unlock all of Starship parts.

Otherwise they’re going to need another hop.

Spoiler

Mystery GooTM Observation from Launch Pad:

The Goo doesn't seem to be doing much right now.

Data Size: 10 Mits
:science:Recovery: +3.0 Science
:science:Transmit: +1.0 Science

Mystery GooTM Observation while flying over Earth:

The Goo jiggles and wobbles as the craft flies.

:science:Recovery: +10.0 Science
:science:Transmit: +2.0 Science

Mystery GooTM Observation from Landing Pad:

3 minutes ago, cubinator said:
  Hide contents

Mystery GooTM Observation from Launch Pad:

Mystery GooTM Observation while flying over Earth:

The Goo jiggles and wobbles as the craft flies.

:science:Recovery: +10.0 Science
:science:Transmit: +2.0 Science

Mystery GooTM Observation from Landing Pad:

They shoulda aimed for a flagpole.

Wow. October... We haven't even seen full fins or landing gear yet!

With an orbital attempt "shortly thereafter" I can't imagine that Super Heavy will be ready in time - that's 3x as many raptors as they have produced so far. That means that Starship should be able to SSTO maybe? I can't imagine they would just yeet a test article into orbit and not try to bring it back, and I can't imagine it has enough margin to SSTO and then land... But then again given how Starship development has gone, I wouldn't be surprised if either happened.

And where are they going to launch it from? That dinky concrete slab in Boca Chica?

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Holy guacamole, an 18 meter beast?

ITS was supposed to do 450 tons in 12 meters IIRC.

This is going to be a BEAST assuming it happens. I don't know how one would estimate payload mass, but that number has to be astonishingly high.

Whoah. And whoah! And also, whoah. 

giphy.gif

Them are some... aggressive time frames... I wonder why more delay on the presentation, tho? What are they, for lack of a better phrase, “hiding?”

11 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

18 meters!? That’s almost as wide as a Sea Dragon...

~150 Raptors on the first stage.

By that time I suspect we will have Raptor 2 or something. Maybe even another engine entirely. Gonna have to dig out the list of falcons again.

52 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

18 meters!? That’s almost as wide as a Sea Dragon...

~150 Raptors on the first stage.

Nope, just a single Tyrannosaurus Rex. :cool:

dat roar doe

And not ones to rest on their laurels, apparently SpaceX is also aiming at the opposite end of the spectrum:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure
Drat, wrong tweet...

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

It is odd to say "we're about to ship" something that they use internally rather than selling to anyone else.

As far as I know, SpaceX exists entirely as a service company.  Blue Origin may sell rocket engines, but as far as I know, SpaceX only provides launch services.  I only hope that doesn't bleed over to Telsa, he has enough communications issues there without using "ship" to mean anything other than delivery cars (and later trucks).

3 minutes ago, wumpus said:

As far as I know, SpaceX exists entirely as a service company.  Blue Origin may sell rocket engines, but as far as I know, SpaceX only provides launch services.

I believe I mentioned this once before, but once upon a time Bill Boeing was forced to decide whether he wanted to own an engine company, an airplane company, or an airline -- but not all three. (He chose the airline, by the way.)

I wonder if Musk could find himself in the same situation. It is far from impossible that anti-trust concerns could eventually prohibit one company from building rockets, flying rockets, owning satellites, and selling internet connections from those satellites.

Reusable rockets actually makes this outcome more likely. It makes it much easier to separate the idea of building rockets and operating them.

5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

wonder if Musk could find himself in the same situation. It is far from impossible that anti-trust concerns could eventually prohibit one company from building rockets, flying rockets, owning satellites, and selling internet connections from those satellites.

. . . 

*Points at Owners of All Media Disney*

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

*Points at Owners of All Media Disney*

Yes, anti-trust fever waxes and wanes. But it depends somewhat on how many competitors a company has. The more dominant the market position, the more anti-trust issues start coming up.

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

Yes, anti-trust fever waxes and wanes. But it depends somewhat on how many competitors a company has. The more dominant the market position, the more anti-trust issues start coming up.

I don’t think it’s going to be an issue for SpaceX. A large part of launch market is governed by politics, not competition, e.g. organizations getting government contracts because they’re located in the right district, not because they offer the best product. Won’t be a problem for such organizations if SpaceX gets too big and powerful.