SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

52 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

I am no expert on this, but my kerbal sense tells me that if they can do that with water towers, they can do the same with starship.

Agreed, really. But that doesn't make it any less insane to think about!

My burning question is whether or not they'll actually get the fins and legs on there?

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

I am no expert on this, but my kerbal sense tells me that if they can do that with water towers, they can do the same with starship.

Actually, there is no difference between a water tower and a ship. Just the former keeps water inside, the latter - outside.

It does seem like the Boca Chica deal was something of a bait-and-switch. When they first moved there, it was under the condition that there would be no more than 12 launches a year, only one of which would be at night.

"They determined what they are going to pay us for our homes and they give us a two-week deadline to decide," Johnson said. "I am not going to be bullied into selling under their conditions."

Pointer said the offers did not account for the unique wilderness and view of Boca Chica, which sits less than 2 miles from a public beach, was peaceful and quiet before SpaceX arrived, and is surrounded by thousands of acres of coastal, bird-filled wildlife refuge. She also says a handful of families do not have the financial means, even with a three-times-appraised-value offer, to buy equivalent properties elsewhere.

"They need to understand that most of this community has very limited income," she said. "We want to move on, just give us what we need to move on. I'm not going to go to a trailer or an apartment. I gave my life to this property. I gave it everything I had. Nobody else wanted to tame it."

5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

It does seem like the Boca Chica deal was something of a bait-and-switch. When they first moved there, it was under the condition that there would be no more than 12 launches a year, only one of which would be at night.

They're certainly no where near a launch a month at this point.

The real issue I see it is that the distance from the nearest house to the launch site farther east seems to be about 2.5km (google earth). That's half the distance from the VAB press site to 39a.

Guess it depends on if TX wants a launch facility in state. The total number of houses is ~35, and I'm not sure all are even occupied. A ways down the road towards town, there are a bunch of lots open, some right on the water, closer to 6 km from the launch site.

1 minute ago, Wjolcz said:

Well, if I was offered to move like that I would probably ask for a ticket to Mars instead tbh.

New Donner needs entrées. ;)

The thing is, either SpaceX screwed up or else they have been quite Machiavellian about all this. They certainly didn't tell people that they intended to make Boca Chica Village essentially uninhabitable. But now that they are there, they are leaning very hard on the residents who were there long before they were to make way for SpaceX.

12 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

The thing is, either SpaceX screwed up or else they have been quite Machiavellian about all this. They certainly didn't tell people that they intended to make Boca Chica Village essentially uninhabitable. But now that they are there, they are leaning very hard on the residents who were there long before they were to make way for SpaceX.

Looking at google earth, and going back to older images, the houses are not there in 1993, and are there in 1995, which gives us some idea of their age, so yeah, long before SpaceX starting to look around in 2011. The initial idea was F9 and FH flights (which is remarkable given how close the houses are to the launch area proposed). The FAA signed off on the plan originally, though, so I guess it's still a thing. SpaceX can either just wait them out, or make them offers they can't refuse I guess.

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

Sounds like another Elon bitcoin scam to me ;)

Dunno. They might have to evict the locals during launches. So it makes sense to pay the space nerds in the village something they can't refuse.

Or at least give them a blast proof bunker.

2 hours ago, tater said:

The real issue I see it is that the distance from the nearest house to the launch site farther east seems to be about 2.5km (google earth). That's half the distance from the VAB press site to 39a.

Guess it depends on if TX wants a launch facility in state. The total number of houses is ~35, and I'm not sure all are even occupied. A ways down the road towards town, there are a bunch of lots open, some right on the water, closer to 6 km from the launch site.

Or buy/build some houses furthur down the road, amd sell them to the "stubborn" residents.

Or just let them live inside a "decommissioned" starship mk1 later on.

Edited by Xd the great