SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

8 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Higher-res pictures have made it clear that we are looking at the windward side of Starship Mk1.

Also, we now have a very good indication of where the forward flaps will be located:

Wait, how does this tell us we're looking at the windward side? And for that matter, how do we know those are canard mounts and not just raceway protection or something?

1 minute ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Wait, how does this tell us we're looking at the windward side? And for that matter, how do we know those are canard mounts and not just raceway protection or something?

Because they've added the fillet part---though if the canards are above, this is sort of just a chine.

Even so, if you imagined a fin meeting those parts, you'd see that it could not fold "up" if up was towards the camera, hence this must be the windward (belly) side.

Nice catch, @sevenperforce

Just now, tater said:

Because they've added the fillet part---though if the canards are above, this is sort of just a chine.

Even so, if you imagined a fin meeting those parts, you'd see that it could not fold "up" if up was towards the camera, hence this must be the windward (belly) side.

Nice catch, @sevenperforce

Oh, I see. But again, not sure this isn't just a chine.

2 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

The forum merged two posts. The first one, about the windward side, was independent of that photo.

It's clear that we are looking at the windward side of the main body based on this image:

1583737.jpg

This is just the raceway cover forward of the aft fins (or, as I am now calling them, Plasma Deflector Shields), but you can see from the asymmetry that the left side of the image represents the windward surface and the right side of the image represents the leeward surface.

As for knowing that the fillets on the fairing section represent the location of the canards -- I don't know for sure, but it does look like they protrude too far to be simple raceway covers, as above. Though I could be wrong. Also, I would be disinclined to expect any external raceways on the fairing section because they have internal space for piping.

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The forum merged two posts. The first one, about the windward side, was independent of that photo.

It's clear that we are looking at the windward side of the main body based on this image:

*image*

This is just the raceway cover forward of the aft fins (or, as I am now calling them, Plasma Deflector Shields), but you can see from the asymmetry that the left side of the image represents the windward surface and the right side of the image represents the leeward surface.

As for knowing that the fillets on the fairing section represent the location of the canards -- I don't know for sure, but it does look like they protrude too far to be simple raceway covers, as above. Though I could be wrong. Also, I would be disinclined to expect any external raceways on the fairing section because they have internal space for piping.

Oh, ok, so the sides are uneven- I definitely see it now, I just assumed the slope would be equal. So yeah, you're right. Should have read the forums a bit more.

Meanwhile, I just found this on the NSF forums:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48895.0;

What's that black thing on the side you ask? Well... this is quite possibly the most SpaceX thing I've seen in Starship yet:

It's a Tesla model S/X battery. Two of them, actually.

uTjP9OB.jpg

(comparison from exilon on NSF forums)

They are literally powering their rocket... with a car battery.

This is insane. In all the best ways.

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

1 hour ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

They are literally powering their rocket... with a car battery.

Likes are still broken, so here’s a Tesla with a great big fluffy puppy in the frunk. 

Spoiler

5c3497751998f.jpeg

ETA: hmmm... maybe Boca’s finally gonna get that Supercharger Everyday Astronaut has been begging for... ^_^

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Likes are still broken, so here’s a Tesla with a great big fluffy puppy in the frunk. 

Hide contents

5c3497751998f.jpeg

ETA: hmmm... maybe Boca’s finally gonna get that Supercharger Everyday Astronaut has been begging for... ^_^

No joke I clicked to like this post.

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

Oh, how i miss 'Like' button in moments like this :) Good catch.

Thanks, but I didn't find this, someone on the NSF forums did.

28 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And you CAN'T like the cute dog picture?! That is just evil!

8 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Oh, ok, so the sides are uneven- I definitely see it now, I just assumed the slope would be equal. So yeah, you're right. Should have read the forums a bit more.

Meanwhile, I just found this on the NSF forums:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48895.0;

What's that black thing on the side you ask? Well... this is quite possibly the most SpaceX thing I've seen in Starship yet:

It's a Tesla model S/X battery. Two of them, actually.

uTjP9OB.jpg

Z-400 Rechargeable Battery spotted.

This rocket reminds me of the Udvar-Hazy museum. They have an F-86 parked right next to a MiG-15. When you look at the F-86 everything is flush; the rivets are countersunk; it looks sculpted. When you look at the MiG-15 it looks like your Uncle Ralph hammered it together in his garage. (Which, by the way, isn't that far from the truth.) And yet the two planes were famously equally-matched.

By the way, if you ever get to the bestest, most wonderful aviation museum in the world, the National Museum Of The US Air Force, you will also see a MiG-15 parked next to an F-86. But that one is THE MiG-15. It's the one that No Kum-Sok defected in, giving the US a working MiG-15 they could test fly. Chuck Yeager later test flew it in order to map out its handling characteristics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Kum-sok is still with us. He goes by Kenneth H. Rowe. He became an aeronautical engineer and a professor.

Edited by mikegarrison

Presently three areas of work:

bc.png

In red we have a team on a crane prepping the top of the fairing for nosecone attachment; in blue we have a team working on the external face of the nose cone immediately after an additional header tank was inserted; in green we have a team doing something to the odd stiffener band on the windward side of Starship.

1 minute ago, Flying dutchman said:

this may sound weird but could it be a ring gear?

That's the windward side I think, which makes anything sticking out not a great idea (though it doesn't likely matter on this vehicle).

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

Also, it is windward side so I don't see anything actuated going there. Maybe they are going to mount experimental TPS there? 

Yeah, they could certainly cover it, which would make sense (they have to cover it with something).

11 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

OK, this isn't really SpaceX news or anything, but there's currently a guy sitting atop Starship's top bulkhead.

I wonder if he's eating his lunch up there...it is 12:50pm in Texas after all...

I would eat lunch up there!

Edited by Kevin Kyle