SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Spoiler
18 minutes ago, KSK said:

May I render some assistance with these puns? I trust such will not cause mortarl offence?

Afaik English, "cement" is the powder to make "concrete", while "concrete" are both "stone-like material made of cement" and "real, exact".

So:
>Did they decide to make the Starship hull out of cement, or smear wet cement on top as ablator???
(Hull could be made of concrete, not of cement, but I meant that they will make it from that cement which they bring.)

>Must ... resist ... making ... pedantic ... comment .. about ... "concrete" v. "cement".
(Just frustration, don't mind. See "concrete vs cement" above).

>Now nobody can say that Space-X plans are not enough concrete.
("Now Space-X plans are concrete (made of concrete) / concrete (real, solid)")
(Also, "Now nobody can say that Space-X evil plans are to say that they have not enough concrete to finish the rocket.")

>Well, now that’s cemented in my head. Let’s just hope @mikegarrison isn’t too... plastered... :sticktongue:
Plastered - when a wall is covered with white solid stone-like material made of gypsum, lime, etc. Like the third word similar to concrete and cement.

Spoiler
7 minutes ago, Raven Industries said:

aggregate the moderator

Sometimes solution needs a moderator to get solid.

Edited by kerbiloid

24 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Just curious, how will concrete last against rocket exhaust?

Current blast trenches are concrete.

I think they are pouring a landing pad, actually. Regardless, it was my understanding they were going to make a steel blast deflector.

7 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

One engine on touchdown. Hopper did not need an trench. 

I thought mks need 3 engines for landing.

Anyway, how roasted will the pad be?

5 minutes ago, tater said:

The real issue is liftoff, and the acoustics of that (SH).

Won't be surprised if they need a new sound suppresion system.

43 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

I thought mks need 3 engines for landing.

Anyway, how roasted will the pad be?

Won't be surprised if they need a new sound suppresion system.

Pretty much the same as with hopper. 
As I understand they will use 3 engines to slow down then switching to one for touchdown. 
Guess they start with one to is gimbaled to help rotate ship nose up. then three to slow down to landing speed and one to land. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Pretty much the same as with hopper. 
As I understand they will use 3 engines to slow down then switching to one for touchdown. 
Guess they start with one to is gimbaled to help rotate ship nose up. then three to slow down to landing speed and one to land. 

How can it land on a single engine? Wouldn't the lateral force from the engine cause it to tip?

The three centre engines can gimbal through the centre of mass. So with one firing through the centre of mass it would not experience a rotational moment.

It may have to touch down at a couple of degrees lean however. Or the engine or thrusters could kick it over into vertical in the second before touchdown (deliberate rotation).