SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

12 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Sounds like it might end up being a net loss then....  :cool:

Maybe with the fuel savings and scrap metal sales they could still net a profit.

(Back on topic)

I guess this means more Falcon launches and fairing catches in the near future. I’ve missed them. One boat per fairing half, I assume?

Edited by GearsNSuch

7 hours ago, GearsNSuch said:

I guess this means more Falcon launches and fairing catches in the near future. I’ve missed them. One boat per fairing half, I assume?

Yep, one boat per half. They couldn’t catch both with one boat because the fairing halves are separated by several kilometres during re-entry.

Edited by RealKerbal3x
Clarification.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yep, one boat per half. They couldn’t catch both with one boat because the fairing halves are separated by several kilometres during re-entry.

And even if they had you would not want them to hit each others. 

3 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Anyone know the lowest pressure you can hit at SL without flow sep?

It doesn't quite work that way. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259898860_Flow_Separation_in_Rocket_Nozzles_-_An_Overview

According to this paper, the Mach number in the nozzle is very important. And that depends a lot on the conditions at the throat of the nozzle.

The simplest of the formulas given there seem to indicate that a  Psep/Pambient of about 0.4 is the lowest generally safe value, but that specific designs can be lower than that.

Edited by mikegarrison