SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

7 hours ago, satnet said:

Another negative impact of the square-cube law is that expander cycle rockets are limited to ~300 kN of thrust. This is because the surface area over which you can extract heat grows slower than the volume you need to fill with fuel and at some point you can't extract enough to run the pumps to fill the volume.

Anexceptio to that would be expander cycle aerospikes. Aerospikes have the opposite problem, where it has more throat that needs cooling per unit thrust, which is normally a problem, but solved the expander cycle problem.

Dry spell on SpaceX launches ending. 2 static fires (first is the same type on the capsule that blew up before) this week, then a Starlink.

My gut feeling up thread I think was right. SpaceX moved Starlink, then slammed many parachute tests, and get ready for the ground test before MaxQ abort. They were demonstrating to NASA who comes first (NASA).

Starlink launch is Nov 11, that will have a static fire this week as well.

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:
Still wondering how (and WHEN!!!) they’re gonna move that thing...

I’m guessing they’re going to put it on a crawler, similar to what they did with Mk1.

Also, they’ll probably move it soon(tm). Maybe they’ll do the same as they’re doing in Texas - move the bottom half to the pad first.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

In a shock to absolutely no one, Elon's Twitter absence lasted all of... 3 days.

This tweet tells us that there are more parachute tests- the parachute test shown was NOT the final Mk3 parachute test, but the first of 10 multi-chute tests. I guess the 12 before it were single-chute tests.

Speaking of 80% reusability, does anyone recall what happened to the second stage recovery concept? Elon tweeted in April of 2018 that they would try to recover the second stage using a "giant party balloon" and have it land on a "giant bouncy house." Anyone know what happened to this idea?

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I’m guessing they’re going to put it on a crawler, similar to what they did with Mk1.

Also, they’ll probably move it soon(tm). Maybe they’ll do the same as they’re doing in Texas - move the bottom half to the pad first.

IIRC, there’s some potential issue with a rail bridge starting construction and blocking the way if it’s not real Soon™️.

1 minute ago, Elro2k said:

Speaking of 80% reusability, does anyone recall what happened to the second stage recovery concept? Elon tweeted in April of 2018 that they would try to recover the second stage using a "giant party balloon" and have it land on a "giant bouncy house." Anyone know what happened to this idea?

Shelved to focus entirely on Starship. And the way things are going, looks like the right call, as Starship could fly (and get much better data) by the end of the year. 

4 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Frequent daily flights?.. Come on, that’s crazy talk, even for someone like Elon Musk.

That's Shotwell's take on P2P as well. I'm unconvinced, but it will be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure.

31 minutes ago, tater said:

That's Shotwell's take on P2P as well. I'm unconvinced, but it will be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure.

I understood it as frequent daily flights from the same spaceport (Starport? :)), which is mind blowing. 

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

I understood it as frequent daily flights from the same spaceport (Starport? :)), which is mind blowing. 

She said that the P2P business case was partially that the same vehicle could make multiple flights a day. Again, I'll buy that when I see it, lol.

2 hours ago, Elro2k said:

My thinking is that the F9 system would lose too much payload capacity after adding all the new shielding and landing hardware. 

5 hours ago, tater said:

I've already posted all the many reasons why Starship point2point is about as realistic as Space Ghost Coast2Coast. And that was *before* the 737 scrutiny.

Gotta admire the optimism, however, of a guy saying "Starship will be fully reusable with booster reflight possible every few hours & ship reflight every 8 hours" when neither one has ever flown once.

Edited by mikegarrison

42 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Wrong thread.

Hide contents

Spoiler

I wanted a controlled landing, not a broken fuel tank spewing toxic hypergolic fuel all over me!

10 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I've already posted all the many reasons why Starship point2point is about as realistic as Space Ghost Coast2Coast. And that was *before* the 737 scrutiny.

Agreed. Doesn't sound very plausible, the dangers sound way too high.