SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, Ignath said:

Amazing footage of that landing...finally one without losing signal!

It takes a lot of practice to stick the landing without jostling the camera or uplink too much.

I think Sooty did quite well managing it on only the 4th try.

4 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I was watching the actual SpaceX feed and I didn't see the signal on the booster at all after entry burn?  Where did you guys see the landing?

They popped to the landing from the ASDS at the last seconds. Never saw F9 cam after entry burn, either.

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Nice, I tuned in just in time for a picture-perfect launch and landing!

Looks good to go for Flight 5!

It blows my mind that SpaceX just pulled off an entire launch, for itself, for the cost of propellant, an upper stage, and recovery/refurb. 

BTW, SpaceX rocks the coverage.

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

It blows my mind that SpaceX just pulled off an entire launch, for itself, for the cost of propellant, an upper stage, and recovery/refurb. 

Yeah. Their costs on these sats are incredibly low. I'd wager that including launch, even with just F9 they are a couple orders of magnitude (or more) cheaper in per sat cost than their not yet flown competition.

7 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That was a flawless launch and booster landing. Sad that they didn't recover the fairing...

They are recovering the fairings the same way they did last time -- splash-down and fish-out. Seas were just too heavy after yesterday's weather to have the nets out.

7 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

If they could have just delayed five minutes, I would have been able to see it live :( At least I'll be able to see SES-2 and payload deployment.

Well, whatever. That was a flawless launch and booster landing. Sad that they didn't recover the fairing...

I logged in 20 mins after launch to see... I missed the live launch. :P

I'm wondering, if these get to shoebox size (or a bit bigger, solar/antenna depending), what are the de-orbit/kessler situations for them? Is it like the sea, where the particles hang around for ages, polluting, or would it disperse quickly?

Would we end up with launch windows in a similar way aircraft do (though for aircraft it's for the runway safety, but for orbit it would be to find the gaps in starlink to get through safe :P ).

1 minute ago, Technical Ben said:

I'm wondering, if these get to shoebox size (or a bit bigger, solar/antenna depending), what are the de-orbit/kessler situations for them? Is it like the sea, where the particles hang around for ages, polluting, or would it disperse quickly?

Would we end up with launch windows in a similar way aircraft do (though for aircraft it's for the runway safety, but for orbit it would be to find the gaps in starlink to get through safe :P ).

They deorbit rapidly enough if not orbit-controlled. A few days if they don't do their initial orbit raise; 5 years if they lose power on orbit. 

There are plenty of gaps during ascent. Because they are at an orbit where anything uncontrolled will deorbit in a few years, there's not much debris for them to interact with. Coplanar collisions are more likely than normal ones.