SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

41 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

If the skin on that truck is actually steel then it only adds to my suspicion that he's bascially prototyping the whole martian infrastructure and trying to make money off of it.

You could literally cut out a part of the Starship hull and use it to fix the truck.

Well you want it airtight for one. if its not airtight you don't need an cabin. 
Also an tesla would not work on Mars as its air cooled, you probably need some sort of liquid cooling and an radiator. 

5 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Well you want it airtight for one. if its not airtight you don't need an cabin. 
Also an tesla would not work on Mars as its air cooled, you probably need some sort of liquid cooling and an radiator. 

I wouldn't expect a production model to drive on Mars anyway. But the whole EV thing is definitely adding to the future martian rovers' (for humans) development.

Edited by Wjolcz

4 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

I wouldn't expect a production model to drive on Mars anyway. But the whole EV thing is definitely adding to the future martian rovers' (for humans) development.

That is very obvious, not only for rovers but also for other machines 

34 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Teslas are liquid cooled and have radiators.

Liquid cooling in cars is also air cooled. All the liquid does, is move the heat to a "radiator" where air is blown across it to convect the heat away. Because it's more efficient, than just blowing air directly on the source of the heat.

You'd need a real radiator on Mars. One that is actually meant to radiate the heat away, and not convecting it to the air.

Mars does technically have an atmosphere, so I guess you could use a regular radiator (convection). It'll just have to be a lot bigger. Probably 100 times bigger for the same cooling effect.

12 minutes ago, Val said:

Mars does technically have an atmosphere, so I guess you could use a regular radiator (convector). It'll just have to be a lot bigger. Probably 100 times bigger for the same cooling effect.

If I remember correctly, Martian atmosphere has the density of 1% of Earth atmosphere.

But Matian atmosphere is also usually significantly colder. (Unless you drive around the equator during summer.)

And you'd probably want new tyres.

Edited by Xd the great
Was looking at cybertruck and realized tyres are important.

33 minutes ago, CardboardGuy said:

did anyone else hear about the starship prototype blowing up.:(

There is an entire page in this thread where the whole community was discussing whether it was an accident, how would it affect the Starship schedule, and potential safety devices that could have been implemented into the design.

So, yes.

Edited by Xd the great

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

But Matian atmosphere is also usually significantly colder. (Unless you drive around the equator during summer.)

In which case you use the heat to warm the battery. This is actually a thing on Teslas, actually (battery warming).

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

There is an entire page in this thread where the whole community was discussing whether it was an accident, how would it affect the Starship schedule, and potential safety devices that could have been implemented into the design.

How many acoustic booms was this time?

Will Space-X investigate the neighbors' roofs in search of a sniper, again?

14 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Space nerds watch a lot of youtube, and buy a lot of merch.

I can't imagine buying merch with the name of a YT show on it. A cool graphic of a rocket engine? Sure. With a show logo on it? Meh.

44 minutes ago, tater said:

I can't imagine buying merch with the name of a YT show on it. A cool graphic of a rocket engine? Sure. With a show logo on it? Meh.

I have some of his merch. “Buran” T-shirt, F1 engine T-shirt and a set of grid fin-shaped drink coasters.