SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, ExtremeSquared said:

Does this make sense? Are they trying to recover in the Gulf of Mexico after a full orbit?

Yes, and no. I think it just takes that long for the fairing to fall back down. It's pretty draggy and very lightweight, and under the parasail I think it would take quite a while to float back down.

Second burn of stage 2 was fine. Waiting for deployment of the satellites. I wonder if we'll get to see video of the actual deployment (the previous two times I didn't see the actual release...only shortly after)

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

They want to start providing internet to northern US and Canada this year, apparently.

OhmyKerm PLEEEEEEEEEZE! I will gladly accept the pitfalls of early adoption!

1 hour ago, Brotoro said:

Good video from ship through landing.

Hmm... usually the signal goes all wonky, I wonder if they’re finally using the existing Starlinks to relay it? I image the phased array antenna can correct faster than the fixed one...

Spoiler

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

OhmyKerm PLEEEEEEEEEZE! I will gladly accept the pitfalls of early adoption!

Hmm... usually the signal goes all wonky, I wonder if they’re finally using the existing Starlinks to relay it? I image the phased array antenna can correct faster than the fixed one...

300 years have passed. the internet stays same...

The booster landed again. Cool cool. That's almost 50 landings now.

In other news: one of the domes got flipped, put on a stand and catwalk was lowered into it. So I'm guessing welding will start pretty soon.

Are they going to build the ship or the booster first? Or maybe both? Also, is the main VAB/tent thing even big enough to accommodate any of them?

Edited by Wjolcz

I believe they mentioned in the livestream that they missed.

In regards to Starlink itself, I'm wondering if it's going to be set up like a standard ISP where the receiver is basically just a modem, and you hook up your own router if you want, or if it's all going to be super proprietary SpaceX-configured equipment that doesn't let you actually change anything, like some ISPs do.

5 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Weren't they going to try to catch a fairing? Any news on that?

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Yeah, they had one fairing catcher out, and they missed, but she said on the livestream it was close. Regardless, they scooped both out of the water (and they've been reusing them after getting wet, anyway).

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

In regards to Starlink itself, I'm wondering if it's going to be set up like a standard ISP where the receiver is basically just a modem, and you hook up your own router if you want, or if it's all going to be super proprietary SpaceX-configured equipment that doesn't let you actually change anything, like some ISPs do.

I have no real insight on this but I would have thought that they'll want to make it as easy as possible for customers to switch to Starlink. On that basis, I'm guessing the former, rather than anything super proprietary.

12 minutes ago, KSK said:

easy as possible for customers

This is my fear.  Today, 'easy' equates to: "Here's your magic internet box.  Plug it into the wall.  Your Wifi password is written on the side"

Which is not how I work.  I've actually stopped myself from upgrading to a faster internet package, because the next tier up requires the use of modem-router-wifi AP "magic box" provided by my ISP, which my PFSense router would have to sit behind.

It's not impossible that the StarLink receiver will just sit on the roof, plug into power, then have a separate box that goes in the house for wifi and, at least hopefully, ethernet connections with a powerline local connection to the receiver.

If anyone knows where there's any even preliminary info on this, a link would be appreciated.  If the receiver is essentially just a modem, I'll consider jumping on to the early adopter train.  If it's a "magic box" scenario, I'll just forget about Starlink altogether.

Well, I have a “magic box” setup, and I can still go In and change all the settings (admin pw is also on the side). That said, my area is well served and see no need to switch to Starlink for myself. If I lived a few hours north of here, I’d probably need Starlink.

Congrats on yet another perfect launch and landing for F9!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Yeah, my DSL modem is also a router and wifi. I use it as a modem, instead.

Is my DSL box "magic" in the sense you mean or does cable/etc do something more proprietary that doesn't let you change the local settings?