SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

I believe SpaceX is heading toward discovering that it is very hard for one company to be good at everything -- building rockets, flying rockets, building satellites, running an internet company, being an airline, colonizing Mars, etc. etc.

They seem to be making a decent fist of the first three and they'd better git gud at the fourth if they want to fund their Mars ambitions. After that - agreed.

7 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Historically, the trigger for the anti-trust laws that prevent airplane manufacturers from running airlines came about when Boeing refused to sell 247s to TWA because they were reserving them all for their own airline, United. This had two consequences: TWA convinced Douglas to build the DC-1 and Boeing had to sell United (and also Pratt & Whitney). I suppose the same thing would be if somebody else wanted to run a P2P rocket business and tried to buy rockets from SpaceX, but SpaceX refused to sell them any in order to protect their own P2P business.

Except that wouldn't be the reason, the reason would be because Rocketry technology is ITAR protected.

If spaceX makes sympathetic noises while blaming the military, the military will protect SpaceX's monopoly.

Edited by Rakaydos

5 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

Except that wouldn't be the reason, the reason would be because Rocketry technology is ITAR protected.

This argument is weaker than weak. I take ITAR/EAR classes every year because, guess what, a lot of airplane technology is classed as dual use and/or export controlled. We still not only sell planes to airlines, but even to foreign airlines.

This discussion is reminding me of the dot-com bubble, where many people were absolutely sure that internet startups were some kind of magic exemption to economics and law. But they weren't. Or when people thought Google was some kind of magic exemption to murky corporate ethics because their slogan was "don't be evil" -- and now? A lot less trusted.

I get it that some of you are massive SpaceX fans, but businesses are businesses and the law is the law.

Edited by mikegarrison

15 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I get it that some of you are massive SpaceX fans, but businesses are businesses and the law is the law.

Yeah, this is a legit concern for any P2P plans---though honestly I think law (in this sense) is the low bar compared to demonstrating safety. :D

Personally, I'd prefer to not have the government get in the way, if airlines that made their own planes had an advantage---it would simply encourage more aircraft manufacturers to make their own airlines (or airlines to start making their own aircraft). I don't know the answer as to which way is "better" (no regulation in this regard, or what we have), but I think there are unintended consequences of both that are possible.

Ie: had Boeing made an airline, United, would their sales have dropped in aircraft Mfg? Would AA (PanAm, Eastern, whatever) have gotten into bed with Lockheed and had their own planes? We don't know how that alternate history turns out (not that I think the law is going to change, just spitballing).

Edited by tater

23 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Or when people thought Google was some kind of magic exemption to murky corporate ethics because their slogan was "don't be evil" -- and now? A lot less trusted.

Gods but I loathed that stupid slogan. It killed any sort of nuanced debate about many topics, in that anything that a given person disapproved of on the internet immediately got described as 'evil'. Not to mention that half the time, if Company X did something it was fine, but if Company Y (who typically operated counter to whatever groupthink was prevalent on a given forum) did that same thing, they were 'evil'.

Edited by KSK

1 hour ago, tater said:

Ie: had Boeing made an airline, United, would their sales have dropped in aircraft Mfg? Would AA (PanAm, Eastern, whatever) have gotten into bed with Lockheed and had their own planes? We don't know how that alternate history turns out (not that I think the law is going to change, just spitballing).

We kind of do know. Boeing *did* make their own airline (and yes, it was United). TWA wanted to buy 247s, but Boeing wouldn't sell, so they convinced Douglas to build a replacement. The DC-1 led to the DC-2 and then the DC-3. So yeah, refusing to sell to competitors did cause the market to find alternate solutions.

When WW2 came, Boeing mainly stopped building commercial airplanes and built bombers. Douglas also built war-time planes, but one of them was the C-47 (derived from the DC-3) and so, in the end, Boeing's refusal to sell the 247 led to Douglas building 10,000 C-47s.

On the other hand, Boeing's legacy of bombers led to the 707, so....

Edited by mikegarrison

Just now, mikegarrison said:

We kind of do know. Boeing *did* make their own airline (and yes, it was United). TWA wanted to buy 247s, but Boeing wouldn't sell, so they convinced Douglas to build a replacement. The DC-1 led to the DC-2 and then the DC-3. So yeah, refusing to sell to competitors did cause the market to find alternate solutions.

Interesting.

When WW2 came, Boeing mainly stopped building commercial airplanes and built bombers. Douglass also built war-time planes, but one of them was the C-47 (derived from the DC-3) and so, in the end, Boeing's refusal to sell the 247 led to Douglas building 10,000 C-47s.

LOL, it's like Boeing losing on on the military transport to Lockheed (C-5), and then having to settle for using the 747 as an airliner, instead. (this is what I remember the story being, didn't bother to google to check, I might be wrong).

On the other hand, Boeing's legacy of bombers led to the 707, so....

Yeah, makes you wonder what the airline business would be like. Instead of standardizing on a few types of very similar planes, maybe some might have tried novel approaches (competing on travel time, etc).

4 minutes ago, tater said:
Yeah, makes you wonder what the airline business would be like. Instead of standardizing on a few types of very similar planes, maybe some might have tried novel approaches (competing on travel time, etc).

This has been tried. Concorde. Tu-144. "Sonic Cruiser". Now Boom is pushing a supersonic small jet concept.

While people prefer shorter flight times, they seem to prefer lower-priced tickets even more.

33 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

This has been tried. Concorde. Tu-144. "Sonic Cruiser". Now Boom is pushing a supersonic small jet concept.

While people prefer shorter flight times, they seem to prefer lower-priced tickets even more.

Most do... I miss air travel not feeling like Greyhound. Back in the 80s I used to wear a sport coat on planes, because otherwise I felt like a schlub.

I'd also much prefer shorter long-haul flights, hours and hours flying is brutal (partially because I can't sleep sitting down).

I honestly didn't think they would build and test that small tank that quickly. Maybe the SS will actually be mostly complete in 2-3 months from now. Although, I still don't expect the flight to happen before mid-spring. Probably closer to summer.

Also, what's the whole crew safety factor? I assume that at least 1.0 is needed for the crew to board the rocket?

E: this didn't look very dramatic. I guess that's a good thing

Edited by Wjolcz

9 minutes ago, Dale Christopher said:

Is there any info around about what pressure the first tank failed at? Just curious.

Oh, yo mean Mk1? Not sure we ever heard officially.

Edited by tater

11 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Or when people thought Google was some kind of magic exemption to murky corporate ethics because their slogan was "don't be evil" -- and now? A lot less trusted.

The way I saw it quite a while back was Google took that slogan and effectively interpreted it as "By definition, everything Google does isn't evil."  Google does a lot of good.  But some things....

Now, SpaceX is doing a lot of good too.  They have a lot of fans.  But there's still the possibility of some things....

About the silos.
Just realized. The current Starship 1st stage size (afaik, 9 m x 60+ m) is almost equal to the UR-500 aka Proton full size (wingspan ~8.5 m x height 60+ m ).
And UR-500 was originally designed as a silo-based ICBM. Its silo was successfully built and tested.

So, at least the first stage of Starship is definitely silo-compatible.

So, they can leave only the upper stage above the ground, mounting a required one just from rails.

Another idea is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Coupole

Spoiler

Wizernes_site_octagon.jpg

In this case they could also land the stages on an elevator platform and get them down right into the facility.

Also it's about the lunar and Martian sites.

Spoiler

Why lunar is lowercase, while Martian is uppercase? Just because the Moon is not a planet?? It's a discrimination.

Imho, the main (if not the only) purpose of the intercontinental Starship passenger hops is to make a chain of spaceports to land the first stages not on a barge, and to pay the local taxes.
So, unlikely this is a viable plan to replace the aviation.

Edited by kerbiloid