SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

11 minutes ago, Treveli said:

Pretty sure that's a mistranslation, Starships not Dragons, and launch not build.

Probably a double mis-, as at teh very end they start tell about starships.

Anyway, the (obviously yellow) Daily Mail says about building 100 Starships per year, i.e. building 1 SS every 3 days.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7899849/Elon-Musk-says-SpaceX-build-100-Starships-year-ONE-MILLION-humans-Mars-2050.html

while Business Insider says about 3 launches per day.
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-plans-1-million-people-to-mars-by-2050-2020-1

On the other hand, to launch starships, they first need to build them, even if reuse them many times, as the travel takes at least 2.5 years

P.S.
"TODO: Replace 12 000 starlink sats with starships."

Edited by kerbiloid

23 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

P.S.

"TODO: Replace 12 000 starlink sats"

*Happy Bezos noise

24 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

"With starships."

*Sad Jeff noises

24 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Anyway, the (obviously yellow) Daily Mail says about building 100 Starships per year, i.e. building 1 SS every 3 days.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7899849/Elon-Musk-says-SpaceX-build-100-Starships-year-ONE-MILLION-humans-Mars-2050.html

1 SS every 3 days? 6 raptor engine every 3 days?

Can I strap 1 to a car?

Not a spaceship, but (from Wiki):

"At the request of the government, Ford began to decentralize operations and many parts were assembled at other Ford plants as well as by the company's sub-contractors, with the Willow Run plant concentrating on final aircraft assembly. The bugs were eventually worked out of the manufacturing processes, and by 1944, Ford was rolling a Liberator off the Willow Run production line every 63 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

If you can roll a plane (B-24) out of the factory every 63 minutes then you can probably build a stainless steel spaceship every 3 days. I can imagine it requiring A LOT of effort (and money) to get to this rate though, but then I saw an orbital rocket land about 4 years ago. Predicting the future is really hard.

Edited by Wjolcz

I'm now completely confused.
What do they call "Martian Invasion"? This happens where?

The Thing itself lay almost entirely buried in sand, amidst the scattered splinters of a fir tree it had shivered to fragments in its descent. The uncovered part had the appearance of a huge cylinder, caked over and its outline softened by a thick scaly dun-coloured incrustation. It had a diameter of about thirty yards. He approached the mass, surprised at the size and more so at the shape, since most meteorites are rounded more or less completely. It was, however, still so hot from its flight through the air as to forbid his near approach. A stirring noise within its cylinder he ascribed to the unequal cooling of its surface; for at that time it had not occurred to him that it might be hollow.

Spoiler

32044152737_12a2e2c551_b.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

Just now, MinimumSky5 said:

This booster:

Was the first Bloc 5 booster

Launched the first Bangladeshi satellite (Bangabandhu 1)

Launched the most satellites on one launch by the US, and SpaceX (SSO-A)

Why does it have to be B1046!

Think of it like this: it's going to get a Viking burial.

Just now, MinimumSky5 said:

This booster:

Was the first Bloc 5 booster

Launched the first Bangladeshi satellite (Bangabandhu 1)

Launched the most satellites on one launch by the US, and SpaceX (SSO-A)

Why does it have to be B1046!

Because now it can die in a way proper for a rocket: A fiery death in flight, still serving humanity.

Not like this:

Abandoned_Soviet_space_shuttles__Kazahst

:mad: