SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

It doesn't really matter to me, I suppose, but is that "8.5 bar" in gauge pressure or absolute pressure? (The difference is about 1 bar.)

I don't think it would make sense to report it in absolute. Imagine for example, if it failed at 1 bar, absolute :blink:

55 minutes ago, Lukaszenko said:

I don't think it would make sense to report it in absolute. Imagine for example, if it failed at 1 bar, absolute :blink:

That would require that it either had an hole or did not manage to hold the weight of the nitrogen :) 
Now an more amusing thing would be if they managed to get underpressure or less than 1 bar absolute. 
This sometimes happens if you clean containers with steam and close the valves. 

3 minutes ago, ExtremeSquared said:

Looked like a somewhat hard landing? Haven't seen the legs collapse that much before.

I agree. Looked like it shut off about a person's height from the ground. Maybe there was a very low fuel margin for this payload.

3 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I agree. Looked like it shut off about a person's height from the ground. Maybe there was a very low fuel margin for this payload.

Falcon can't hover. If the landing burn starts just a tad too early you have to shut off above the ground and let gravity to the rest.

In this case even more than usual.

Another happy landing. Just 4 years ago this thread would explode each time a rocket had landed. Now we're one landing away from 50.

Edit: we should make some sort of list of what's not impossible and untrue anymore.

Edited by Wjolcz

4 minutes ago, Flavio hc16 said:

this, i hope the engine didn't hit the barge, because it looked like it

I think the legs have crush cores and hard stops. If the hard stops are hit, I'd assume booster structure damage would occur before engine contact. Anyone have some schematics?