SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

31 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Legs still on. Definitely misjudged the landing. 

Coming to near zero velocity at zero alt is hard when the altitude of the target surface is constantly changing.

That vid that was taken down said they liked the sea state in feet to about equal the period (or slower period). So a 12ft sea with peaks 12 sec apart is OK, 6 seconds apart not OK (from memory of that vid that was removed). There's every chance they committed to flight with an acceptable sea, and it changed, even briefly to one barely compatible with landing. The booster was set to shut down when the deck was at a peak, and the period changed, and it was in a trough.

4 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Antitrust law steps in not on the occurrence of a monopoly, but on the abuse of one, at least in theory.  If SpaceX got a monopoly and then told a supplier (say, of payload fairings) to no longer sell to Boeing or ULA, that's when it should kick in.

Does the $28 million reflect SpaceX's all-up launch cost for a new F9, or is it the cost of a launch with a gently-pre-used booster?

Given the likely delays in the manned moon program, SpaceX could just launch all the cargo, facilities, rovers, habitation modules, etc, etc and just leave them there for whenever NASA gets its astronauts there :)  Or, maybe by the time astronauts land, SpaceX will have already engineered, tested, launched, and landed robots that will set everything up for the astronauts.  So the manned lander is a glorified hotel shuttle!

If its new or used booster don't matter much for them. Expect if you demand an new its more expensive. 
And this is cost and not stated how much is included. I assume its the cost of launching another rocket at the cheapest options so no overtime or extra hires. 

Now the starship has some benefit as an lander, first its fully reusable, its manned and you can bring stuff like multiple rovers  but also something like this 
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmhK3g4FhdcyWSHsH7YQ3

its only 8 ton, and can do core samples over an km down, granted so far will require lots of heavy extenders for the drill head and you would have to rebuild it from ground up for use on the moon, you also need an solar array to power it. 
However its something you can do with starship who is orders of magnitudes ahead or other plans, you obviously pack it down load it up again then done so you can use it at the next landing site. 
So yes you can do an manned mission with say 15 astronauts, 4 rovers and an core sample drill rig cheaper than putting current probes one Moon. 
/tilt

Yes. Yes I am sure Starship SN1 is going to come together very quickly. Yes I know this is a 6 month window, and it assumes they don't run into any big problems on the way there (which they will), but if they think they can have a ship ready to fly in a month then things are going to have to be assembled quite quickly. I'm sure it won't actually fly in march, they'll have to sort through all the issues that pop up first, but they are expecting to have it assembled by then.

Can't wait for this thing to fly in... well, based off of StarHopper, September or so.

*ominous music* And so, the age of Starship began...

4 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:
Can't wait for this thing to fly in... well, based off of StarHopper, September or so.

Neither can I. It will be such a thrill. If that thing will land upright on its first try I will scream.

So they are doing the hop after all. I thought they were going for the orbit straight away.

5 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Still sooner than SLS (hopefully).

Edited by Wjolcz

6 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

So they are doing the hop after all. I thought they were going for the orbit straight away.

Still sooner than SLS (hopefully).

They will start with some 20 km hops as I understand. Orbit require an heat shield and this is plenty of work to put on, the landing flip is also an pretty challenging operation so best to nail down early. 

8 hours ago, Just Jim said:

On our local news... How cool is this???
Go fishing and catch a... dragon???

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/space/2020/02/06/brevard-boat-captain-finds-spacex-debris-dragon-capsule-hatch

it was not the crew hatch, assume it was the parachute hatch,  assume the hatch is dropped with the droge chutes as they was connected to the hatch.  

https://spacenews.com/spacex-wins-nasa-contract-to-launch-earth-science-mission/

SpaceX has been awarded the contract to launch the PACE (Plankton, Aerosol, Cloud, ocean Ecosystem) satellite in Dec 2022. The satellite is going to be launched from Kennedy into a sun synchronous orbit, so AFAIK, this is the first mission to use the new polar orbit trajectory that was announced... early last year, I think?

For those of you playing along at home, the total cost of the contract is $80.2 million.

2 hours ago, Delay said:

I'm still not entirely conviced that Starship is able to stand securely on its tiny legs...

yer, id be very nervous about trying to land this in KSP :0.0:

7 hours ago, Delay said:

I'm still not entirely conviced that Starship is able to stand securely on its tiny legs...

Six tiny legs are still better than three tiny-ish legs. As long as it has its CoM low enough nothing serius should happen, but I agree. It would definitely look much safer with F9-like legs, but then that would create its own problems.

Maybe the legs could have foldable "feet" of sorts. Basically this but longer and being on the ground:

db975c3a1ba8fddb94362508f4789084.jpg

Edited by Wjolcz