SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

14 hours ago, Terwin said:

I could see Starship making LEO trips like a cruise liner with private cabins and 1-2 week stays.  Perhaps a few dozen patrons plus catering/service staff.

Should be a lot less expensive than the F9 trips, and more luxurious too. 

The closest comparison here would probably be airships of the 1920s and 30s. They had compartment walls made of fabric and all the furniture was made from balsa wood to reduce weight. It was a good attempt at luxury - though far from that afforded on an ocean liner - given the tight constraints.

38 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

The closest comparison here would probably be airships of the 1920s and 30s. They had compartment walls made of fabric and all the furniture was made from balsa wood to reduce weight. It was a good attempt at luxury - though far from that afforded on an ocean liner - given the tight constraints.

Airships are replaceable by ocean liners.

Rockets cannot be replaced.

That means if you wanna go to space, pay for the Starshp ticket (or whatever rides are available.)

I shudder at the idea of a Starship trip to Mars... possibly 100 people all expected to workout religiously in an attempt to maintain bone mass over 6 months in zero gee... the shear amount of sweat floating around in the air to hit you in the eye or breathed into your lungs... not to mention every other bodily excretion... people are going to be having sex in there... BO, poo, wee, vomiting and worse @_@‘ I hope there are people working on the filtration systems and stuff now because that tin can is going to be nasty by the time it gets to Mars D:

1 hour ago, Dale Christopher said:

I shudder at the idea of a Starship trip to Mars... possibly 100 people all expected to workout religiously in an attempt to maintain bone mass over 6 months in zero gee... the shear amount of sweat floating around in the air to hit you in the eye or breathed into your lungs... not to mention every other bodily excretion... people are going to be having sex in there... BO, poo, wee, vomiting and worse @_@‘ I hope there are people working on the filtration systems and stuff now because that tin can is going to be nasty by the time it gets to Mars D:

Then it is a good thing Starship has 1000m3 for you to sweat into.

1 hour ago, Dale Christopher said:

There are already people doing most of those things in zero G right now. I'd imagine most of the problems have already been solved.

4 hours ago, Barzon said:

emote.png

4 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

doing most of those things in zero G right now.

Besides, that one thing is not allowed for obvious reasons.

Edited by Wjolcz

6 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

If I remember correctly,  100 is for short leo/suborbital p2p flights, looking at the dear moon flight there are only 8, I cant imagine them sending much more on a long mission like a mars landing.

41 minutes ago, insert_name said:

If I remember correctly,  100 is for short leo/suborbital p2p flights, looking at the dear moon flight there are only 8, I cant imagine them sending much more on a long mission like a mars landing.

100 is the long term goal there. I think the first crews will be closer to a dozen maybe, making all that... logistical unpleasantness a bit easier to deal with. By the time 100 at a time are going (presumably with less training), they’ll have probably figured out some solution to lack of gravity (spinning two Starships around a tether, etc) or perhaps take a shorter path. I think the transit can be cut down to just a couple months with a higher delta-V route. 

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

100 is the long term goal there. I think the first crews will be closer to a dozen maybe, making all that... logistical unpleasantness a bit easier to deal with. By the time 100 at a time are going (presumably with less training), they’ll have probably figured out some solution to lack of gravity (spinning two Starships around a tether, etc) or perhaps take a shorter path. I think the transit can be cut down to just a couple months with a higher delta-V route. 

Which is easier when you know there is a full tanker waiting for you at the end of the trip :) It gets even better if budding colony already can make their own propellant.

Every time I see one of those rentable boom arms, it's a spaceship builder to me.

On another note, I saw many, many satellites tonight which could only be Starlink by my judgement. They were spaced evenly, in a neat row, and can't have been part of the latest batch. By the time one had gone by I knew exactly when and where to expect the next one. I probably saw about twenty of them, and might have seen more if I'd been out a minute or two earlier.

This is the first time I've seen any Starlinks, which is exciting, but considering these were satellites apparently already in position, I really hope they manage to make them a lot darker. They were as easy to spot as the belt stars of Orion. Maybe this is some sort of Iridium flare situation where the angle was just right, otherwise the satellites are just that visible for the moment.

23 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

I shudder at the idea of a Starship trip to Mars... possibly 100 people all expected to workout religiously in an attempt to maintain bone mass over 6 months in zero gee... the shear amount of sweat floating around in the air to hit you in the eye or breathed into your lungs... not to mention every other bodily excretion... people are going to be having sex in there.

https://www.universetoday.com/143368/real-artificial-gravity-for-spacexs-starship/

hopefully

Edited by Dirkidirk

1 minute ago, Dartguy said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but these are just mockups of the Starship, right?  I mean, the finished product isn't going to look like some old farm silo, right?

they are flight capable prototypes, which are going to launch to 20 km sometime in march - april. and no the first orbital starship wont look like a 50 year old tin can.

2 minutes ago, Dartguy said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but these are just mockups of the Starship, right?  I mean, the finished product isn't going to look like some old farm silo, right?

The above is a flight article for 20km, then maybe 100km tests. Once they iterate to the point they have a functional design, I imagine the tanks look more like this:

GDA-Plant-Kearny-Mesa-1961.jpg