SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

35 minutes ago, Dartguy said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but these are just mockups of the Starship, right?  I mean, the finished product isn't going to look like some old farm silo, right?

Yes and no. This is not going to orbit, but it IS a flight prototype, supposed to launch to an altitude of 20km. It has the exact same design of the orbital starship (unless that design changes due to rapid development), but it is built to a lower standard of quality and precision since it is not going to reach orbit. This allows them to build these quicker and cheaper, make design changes quicker if they encounter a problem during construction, and build multiple prototypes (parts of SN2 are already under construction, it will be closer to orbital quality if not actual orbital quality- that's kind of unclear and I suspect they're not sure themselves)

It's a really unique flight development path, they're doing this with a heavy emphasis on "test-as-you-fly." Even if SN2 is orbital, the design and quality of each build is supposed to keep improving through at least SN20.

1 hour ago, Dartguy said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but these are just mockups of the Starship, right?  I mean, the finished product isn't going to look like some old farm silo, right?

If water towers can fly...

15261513.jpg

...then why not silos?

1 hour ago, tater said:

The above is a flight article for 20km, then maybe 100km tests. Once they iterate to the point they have a functional design, I imagine the tanks look more like this:

GDA-Plant-Kearny-Mesa-1961.jpg

Yes, however the current build looks pretty decent I say. 
However an 4 mm steel cylinder 9 meter wide and pretty much as long between bulkheads will it be stable without internal structure without pressurization? Not to talk about 2 mm? 
Granted the raceways will add some strength. Add the LOX pipe down the center. MIght add some bracing on that. One reason to not have structure on the hull is probably thermal. 

1 hour ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Yes and no. This is not going to orbit, but it IS a flight prototype, supposed to launch to an altitude of 20km. It has the exact same design of the orbital starship (unless that design changes due to rapid development), but it is built to a lower standard of quality and precision since it is not going to reach orbit. This allows them to build these quicker and cheaper, make design changes quicker if they encounter a problem during construction, and build multiple prototypes (parts of SN2 are already under construction, it will be closer to orbital quality if not actual orbital quality- that's kind of unclear and I suspect they're not sure themselves)

It's a really unique flight development path, they're doing this with a heavy emphasis on "test-as-you-fly." Even if SN2 is orbital, the design and quality of each build is supposed to keep improving through at least SN20.

Pretty unique in current times but it was pretty common doing stuff like this, During WW2 it was not uncommon to test by using prototypes in combat. An pretty desperate move as it was an Soviet thing early in the war and a German and Japanese late in it. 
During wars these sort of things happens in this days too, UAV was developed like this, wonder if any first generation predators surived, During the first gulf war the US came up with an bunker bursting bomb using an old artillery gun barrel. 

Multiple factors here, companies, bureaucracy  and governmental organisations hate high risk as it make the operators look bad because you will get fails. 
This includes how SpaceX developed first stage landings. 
Once you state you want to reuse first stages anyone who crashes is an fail even if before you tried the fail rate was always 100% and the cost of trying to recover was an faction of the cost of the stage. 
Have fun trying to explain that to your backers who are clueless. 

And this was standard in early aviation,  no I would not sell life insurance to an test pilot in 1910 :)
This enforce regulations who ended up made aircraft very safe. 

Last setting up an mass production pipeline tend to be very expensive and hard to change, using composites reinforces this and you don't want prototype passenger planes to crash. 
And yes starship need an abort system if they want to push an passenger version fast. Here Musk is over optimistic. 

Finally I say that Mars will stay an scientific outpost like Antarctica until we teraform it who is far away. 
LEO, Moon and asteroids has business cases who might fail but still has potential.  

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

If water towers can fly...

15261513.jpg

...then why not silos?

And yes I posted that they could not fly it without an nose cone. as short stubby rockets are unstable in KSP, 
You can however get better flight control software than Mechjeb is you spends some millions develop them :)

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Do you think they will try to stack it today?

Looks like they are (presumably) welding something on the bigger part of the tank right now. But it's attached to the crane, so maybe?

Edited by Wjolcz