SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

35 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

How does testing vertically instead of horizontally simplify engine design?

Since the engine (and supporting hardware and feed lines) will be mounted vertically, it wouldn't have to handle the loads associated with a horizontal orientation?

Also:

Edited by StrandedonEarth

8 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:
Launching missiles in Cuba’s general direction still sounds risky to me. :unsure:

I can imagine all the hurdles to clear to set up an F9 (and fairing?) LZs in Cuba, except there's probably ones I haven't imagined...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

7 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

I don't think these thrusters are used for self-propulsion. The ASDS barges are towed? Better station-keeping seems to fit.

Agree and that is some beefed up trusters, imagine the main marked for them is oil platforms. 

Could these new thrusters be a hint that the last booster failed to stick its landing due to the droneship battling currents stronger than its current thrusters could handle?

(Or did I miss the update on why that booster failed?)

31 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

Could these new thrusters be a hint that the last booster failed to stick its landing due to the droneship battling currents stronger than its current thrusters could handle?

(Or did I miss the update on why that booster failed?)

They've had the new thrusters for a while now.

Makes me wonder if they are to be installed on JRTI (or are they already?), or if they are in fact for a larger ASDS (Starship?).

41 minutes ago, tater said:

They've had the new thrusters for a while now.

Makes me wonder if they are to be installed on JRTI (or are they already?), or if they are in fact for a larger ASDS (Starship?).

My money is on a bigger ASDS, if it's to stationkeep the smaller barges, at some point the limiting factor will be swivelling the thrusters to compensate for wave action, making them unsuitable for OCISLY or JRTI, but they may be worth it on a much bigger Starship barge the doesn't have to worry about wave action as much, due to its higher mass.

On 2/27/2020 at 12:51 PM, RCgothic said:

How does testing vertically instead of horizontally simplify engine design?

It seems my earlier guess-answer was correct. From https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-raptor-engine-test-stand-upgrade/

Speaking in October 2019, Musk stated that a new vertical test stand would “hopefully allow simplification of Raptor design, as pump shaft wear & drainage is better in vertical config.” More generally, testing Raptor engines vertically would also be “more representative of flight [conditions]”, allowing SpaceX to live up to its proven “test as you fly” philosophy.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

"Highest Level"

Does that mean it'll be in expendable mode?

Good question. If it does, FH is even cheaper than anyone imagined at 117M$/launch.

FWIW Elon said that recovering the side boosters only dropped the payload by ~10%.

3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Payload to LEO. OTOH, payload to beyond Mars orbit will be affected more strongly.

Apparently still ~15t (core expended). Psyche is not very heavy, anyway, they might well be able to recover all 3.

something like 5-8t with full recovery to Mars. (in that range someplace)

Psyche is only ~2600 kg. Even with the rideshares this is well within FH with full recovery.

Edited by tater