SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, CatastrophicFailure said:

So one might even say you’re... Psyched about it?

I’ll see myself out...

...oops... this is the closet...

Stay in there until you’re sorry for what you’ve done :p

*best parent ever XD

I'm not surprised but I'd like to hear what happened, any word yet? As I understand it the settings on the welders were wrong and produced sub optimal welds so this puppy was always going to be the runt of the litter.

Spoiler

(the more i see stuff like this the more i feel like we are at least a decade away from a mars flight. Which isnt bad for me since I need to finish my degrees and stuff before then so I can be involved in some way... XD I NEED MOAR TIME @_@!)

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Woah, that was an even more energetic RUD than MK1!

I just hope this means that they are getting better at building them.

Oh, well. If Saturn V flew then maybe this one will too (maybe, hopefully, please).

9 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I wonder if this was a planned test-to-failure, or if it was an accident like MK1. Given that Elon's recent tweets have suggested that SN1 wouldn't fly, I'm tentatively leaning towards the former.

They were going to static fire it, and they did the test with cryogenics. I'd guess that this wasn't a test to failure.

46 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I wonder if this was a planned test-to-failure, or if it was an accident like MK1. Given that Elon's recent tweets have suggested that SN1 wouldn't fly, I'm tentatively leaning towards the former.

I’ve seen chatter that the welds were suspect well before today, something about the machines being set wrong, and Musk already mentioned the welds on Deuce will be vastly improved. Saw some speculation that it might have been a failure in a feed line, too, since the big release came from the very bottom before the tank imploded. The upper tank was actually pretty strong, it took hitting the ground to finally cause it to rupture.