SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/inside-elon-musks-plan-to-build-one-starship-a-week-and-settle-mars/3/

Berger's had a field trip down to Boca Chica, to check out the new production lines for Starship

This article actually made me tear up. Finally feels like we're reaching higher and farther than Apollo.

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

This article actually made me tear up. Finally feels like we're reaching higher and farther than Apollo.

I know, it actually feels like we have a shot this time, not just with SpaceX, but Blue Origin, Relativity (started by ex-SpaceX personnel, with an established company goal of building a rocket on Mars), Made in Space, Axiom, Planetary Resources (If they ever get the funding sorted...).

It's not just a political stunt, this time, it's an economic push by the private sector.

What is most interesting to me in that article (it mirrors some of the stuff we learned from Robert Zubrin) is the fact that they are (of course) building their own machines to build these. I recall seeing those 3d party solutions (tank building tech, etc), and thinking, "they should just buy those" but instead they are just making what they need. Fascinating.

30 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

Is this the first fully private crewed launch?

(Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes!!)

To orbit, probably unless someone does one before they do. Suborbital, no. Spaceship One did it, and depending on you definition of space, Spaceship Two did it. By the time this happens New Shepard will probably have done it.

32 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

To orbit, probably unless someone does one before they do. Suborbital, no. Spaceship One did it, and depending on you definition of space, Spaceship Two did it. By the time this happens New Shepard will probably have done it.

Yeah, true, but suborbital doesn't count, IMO.

47 minutes ago, Raven Industries said:

I wonder how the folks up in the ISS feel about the prospect of having tourists underfoot in the near future. 

One, this has happened in the past.

Two, these particular "tourists" will largely be clients of Axiom doing experiments, I think.

52 minutes ago, Raven Industries said:

I wonder how the folks up in the ISS feel about the prospect of having tourists underfoot in the near future. 

They’ll be happy as long as the billionaires remember to tip the astronaut 10% of the ride cost.

30 minutes ago, tater said:

this has happened in the past

Yes, but I don't recall hearing any candid comments about it from the ISS residents. Of course, "candid" is not usually something you get from astronauts -- at least until they retire.

ps. I wonder who is going to offer the contract for "suborbital flight to the sun" like so many Kerbals seem to want. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundiver

Edited by mikegarrison

Spoiler

12 hours ago, tater said:

that they are (of course) building their own machines to build these. I recall seeing those 3d party solutions (tank building tech, etc), and thinking, "they should just buy those" but instead they are just making what they need. Fascinating.

They use KSP in development, we can be sure.
Breaking Ground, of course, then Kerbal Foundries, Kerbal Attachment System, Infernal Robotics.

Maybe they even recompiled the great but outdated @riocrokite's mods:

That's why their irl equipment looks so familiar.

Still can't understand, what do they use for the boring subway?
Do they have a special private mod?

Read an article about the potential for a rescue mission to Columbia on Ars, assuming the critical damage had been noticed soon enough. Only Atlantis or Arianne V-159 had any hope of reaching Columbia before its consumables expired. But the Arianne had already mounted Intelsat 907 a ressupply probe couldn't have been thrown together and mounted inside a month. 

If similar happened today I bet SpaceX could do it though. They have enough hardware and the right "get it done" attitude.

A rescue vessel should be hypergolic, always ready to start.

Say, "Satan" ICBM can (acc.to the wiki and etc) put on orbit 4.3 t.
Enough for a rescue capsule for 3-4.
Always ready to be launched in several minutes.

Proton could deliver a 20 t rescue ship.

UR-700 could stay on launchpad for months ready to send a lunar rescue ship,

Edited by kerbiloid

That's such an obvious thing to have it's a wonder the idea wasn't developed.

I guess at the moment it's only relevant to the ISS which has its own lifeboats. And if Starship has an issue on orbit they'll probably just send another starship. Maybe the utility of that idea had a window that's gone.