SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I wonder how much of a payload capacity hit that dogleg manoeuvre will take.

Probably not much. The dV requirement is the dV cost of an orbital plane change times the percentage of orbital velocity at which the dogleg takes place. 

On 3/18/2020 at 10:57 PM, Flying dutchman said:

the way i see it the launch was succesfull in completing it's objective. the satelites were injected into the right orbit.

the landing was a failure. but this seems to confuse some people.

True, but the whole satellite-launching stuff they (as well as others) seem to have down. The interesting point, and the one I presume keeps us glued to the webcasts and this thread, is the progress towards making space accessible. Every recovery is a step forward. It's hard to not see a loss as a step backwards (at least temporarily).

13 hours ago, Lukaszenko said:

True, but the whole satellite-launching stuff they (as well as others) seem to have down. The interesting point, and the one I presume keeps us glued to the webcasts and this thread, is the progress towards making space accessible. Every recovery is a step forward. It's hard to not see a loss as a step backwards (at least temporarily).

Why would it be a step back? It's a good oppertunity to improve the rocket and make it more reliable.

It may look like a step back but really it's not.

Yeah, think of it as a free engine-out test for when they start flying astronauts. Its also notable that SpaceX's recent failures all seem to be expanding the envelope of known "safe" landing conditions and energies.

I'd think that the Super Heavy booster would only fly RTLS because of how powerful it is and it's probably way too big for a barge landing anyway. Also, there will be almost 40 Raptors on that thing. Those things will be pricey to lose.

Edited by Wjolcz

3 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

I'd think that the Super Heavy booster would only fly RTLS because of how powerful it is and it's probably way too big for a barge landing anyway. Also, there will be almost 40 Raptors on that thing. Those things will be pricey to lose.

It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of velocity, down range distance, and altitude of stage separation for various rockets and missions. It seems like Superheavy will probably follow a steeper trajectory, and separate slower and lower than other rockets. This would cause it to suffer more gravity losses and reduce its payload.

thoughts?

9 hours ago, Nightside said:

It seems like Superheavy will probably follow a steeper trajectory, and separate slower and lower than other rockets. This would cause it to suffer more gravity losses and reduce its payload.

thoughts?

True, but Falcon 9 also flies a steep trajectory. 

And Superheavy has a 100 ton payload. All of us knows from KSP that you have the margins...

On 3/21/2020 at 9:29 AM, Flying dutchman said:

Why would it be a step back? It's a good oppertunity to improve the rocket and make it more reliable.

It may look like a step back but really it's not.

Exactly, it LOOKS like a step back. It makes the statsics looks worse, and it adds a bit of weight to the notion that Elon is trying to accomplish the impossible.

Cheap and reliable space access and rocket reusability is still a dream. That being the case, every time there's a failure you can't help but feel a little of that dream slipping away.