SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

If the legs are hydraulic, you open the fluid valves to all the legs so when the first leg touches the ground, the hydraulic fluid is pushed into all other legs. Next leg touches and more fluid is redistributed. That goes on until all the legs are touching the ground at which point hydraulic fluid has nowhere to go, the pressure rises, and triggers the closing of the connection between the legs, which are now locked in place.

Mechanically very simple solution that uses only existing hardware (except the interconnecting valve).

Aw come on, this opens a whole new can of worms... :sticktongue:

In all seriousness, it looks awesome. I really can't wait for Demo-2 now! Though I wonder, if this booster is reused, whether they'll remove that logo? It wouldn't really make sense if it was launching some communications satellite with a NASA logo on the side.

5 minutes ago, Raven Industries said:

I'm going to be the one with the unpopular opinion, I'm not a fan of the worm. The uncrossed 'A's just bug me.

Hopefully it will assuage your worries that the Meatball is still going to be the "Primary logo"

Edited by billbobjebkirk

I don't even want to know how much they spent to re-purpose that piece of the shuttle...

1 hour ago, Raven Industries said:

I'm going to be the one with the unpopular opinion, I'm not a fan of the worm. The uncrossed 'A's just bug me.

If the rocket lands wrong it could be mistaken for VSUN and no one would know where it came from!

4 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

4.5K people are watching a steel silo being filled with liquid nitrogen. The frost belt seems to appear and disappear as if they were adding nitrogen very cautiously.

Can I get a link to that stream? About to be 4.501k people.

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Interesting... those snippets look like the system is meant to be operated by someone with very little training. Like, say, a tourist...

It looks like “breakfast is a critical function.

i approve.

1 hour ago, Dirkidirk said:

why?

I like tea

Because if you do, it will produce a cup of something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

On topic: Testing has been aborted for today. SN3 is still intact (no explosion). Not clear when they'll be trying again (though the answer is probably some variety of "soon").