SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

9 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

That doesn't exactly refute my point that schedules tend to slide, especially with designs that are still in the low TRL stages.

Agreed, but aspirational is a motivational goal for his team, not a statement that they will fly by such and such a date.

power and propulsion module to be launched on falcon heavy in "2022"

https://www.gao.gov/assets/710/706505.pdf  page 41

and a 2 km hop filed for starship (permission for 20th of may-20th of november window) https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=100002&RequestTimeout=1000

Edited by Flavio hc16

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So this is interesting...

Great, big, high mounted lights do make a certain amount of sense, and I recall Musk saying earlier the plan was to hoverslam and then (slowly) drop the last few meters. Hmmm....

...tho personally I’m hoping for ice cream dispensers now...

They are not lights and he knows it. He's just going all "PLEASE LOOK AT ME PLEEEAAAAASEEEEEE!" again.

You would be flying that thing with a radar. Or rather it would be flying itself.

Edited by Wjolcz

24 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

They are not lights and he knows about it. He's just going all "PLEASE LOOK AT ME PLEEEAAAAASEEEEEE!" again.

You would be flying that thing with a radar. Or rather it would be flying itself.

2 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Yeah, the attention seeking under every post of elon musk is realy cringy, not just by him.

nope, he just bet 100$ that they are thrusters while someone says they are landing lights, so he wants the cash rather than attention

9 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

What about the offcenter gimbal induced rotation though? I doubt current RCS thrusters are powerful enough to compensate (if SN4 has any at all?).

... That's why you gimbal to the center of mass so that doesn't happen.

Edited by Rakaydos

There won't be any (unintended) rotation as the engine points through the CoM.

There will probably be a slight horizontal kick as SN4 takes off and lands, but should be well within tolerance.

Edited by RCgothic

Looks like the ISS and Dragon will be visible over the US in the evening after the launch. Perhaps they should encourage people to go outside and watch that, given that watching the launch in person is not such a good idea.