SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

If strap the Starship to the nuke Orion, they could send it to Saturn.

And today there was an official discussion in US about possibility of nuclear tests...

Wait... SpaceX plans an Orion Starship?..

There is, in principle, absolutely no reason why Starship could not build an NTR-based transfer vehicle. The NERVA XE Prime, which used flight-ready turbopumps and was finalized for spacecraft integration, massed 18 tonnes and was less than 3 meters in diameter. No reason why Starship couldn't loft a cluster of those to LEO, followed by ZBO hydrogen tanks. Each XE pushed 246 kN with a vacuum Isp of over 841 s. This was planned for lunar and Mars missions in the 70s.

Edited by sevenperforce

We’ve got some trouble on the horizon for the May 27th launch date: several models try to quickly spin up a weak tropical cyclone around Florida between Wednesday and Friday, and the European model is forecasting a lot of rain for Florida duding that time frame. The Euro, GFS, and CMC are also on the fence about maybe another tropical cyclone forming more in the open Atlantic at the end of May/start of June, which I heard could impact booster recovery, depending on if the launch is delayed. 

I wasn't actually hoping to be prophetic.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:41 AM, mikegarrison said:

Unless, you know, it's windy that day or something.

43 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

We’ve got some trouble on the horizon for the May 27th launch date: several models try to quickly spin up a weak tropical cyclone around Florida between Wednesday and Friday, and the European model is forecasting a lot of rain for Florida duding that time frame. The Euro, GFS, and CMC are also on the fence about maybe another tropical cyclone forming more in the open Atlantic at the end of May/start of June, which I heard could impact booster recovery, depending on if the launch is delayed.

Edited by mikegarrison

21 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

Just realized what I don't like about those suits.
No pockets.
Also, NASA logo placement in the center of the chest is atrocious.

On 5/23/2020 at 3:15 AM, kerbiloid said:

And today there was an official discussion in US about possibility of nuclear tests...

Link?

9 minutes ago, Nothalogh said:

Link?

Spoiler

Way OT for this thread, but I saw something about that yesterday. A friend's dad (physicist at Los Alamos) used to blow holes in the ground back in the day in Nevada. He told us that there is a lot of "art" in designing "good" nuclear weapons, and that he thought that people who had only ever designed them on a computer but never tested their designs would probably have less understanding of what it took to do it right (he was telling us this back in the 80s). He was a hardcore experimentalist, though, not a theorist.

2 hours ago, Nothalogh said:

Link?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-administration-discussed-conducting-first-us-nuclear-test-in-decades/2020/05/22/a805c904-9c5b-11ea-b60c-3be060a4f8e1_story.html

Spoiler

2 hours ago, tater said:

people who had only ever designed them on a computer but never tested their designs

The generation of nuke developers having never seen real nuke...

The generation of cats never sleeping on the warm monitor since they got flat...

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-administration-discussed-conducting-first-us-nuclear-test-in-decades/2020/05/22/a805c904-9c5b-11ea-b60c-3be060a4f8e1_story.html

Hide contents

The generation of nuke developers having never seen real nuke...

The generation of cats never sleeping on the warm monitor since they got flat...

Yes the cats was the real looser at the change to flat screens.

5 hours ago, Nothalogh said:

Just realized what I don't like about those suits.
No pockets.
Also, NASA logo placement in the center of the chest is atrocious.

Link?

Those suits are so very "Tesla". I prefer the look of the Boeing suits.

40 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Those suits are so very "Tesla". I prefer the look of the Boeing suits.

I do as well, actually. Part of it is the astronauts, too. The SpaceX suit looks like motorcycle leathers, and not everyone looks great in those, either. Uma Thurman? Yeah. Average 40-50 YO dude? Not so much ;)

Would be interesting to see someone go all in on that MIT suit design (the snug fitting that uses compressive material instead of air pressure in the suit) with the bubble helmet.

Just now, tater said:

Would be interesting to see someone go all in on that MIT suit design (the snug fitting that uses compressive material instead of air pressure in the suit) with the bubble helmet.

Mechanical counter-pressure?

There is a novel by Steven Gould (the novelist, not Stephen Gould the late paleontologist) called Exo in which the use and development of an MCP spacesuit is a major plot point. (So is teleportation, so it's kind of a science-mixed-with-fantasy genre.)

7 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Mechanical counter-pressure?

There is a novel by Steven Gould (the novelist, not Stephen Gould the late paleontologist) called Exo in which the use and development of an MCP spacesuit is a major plot point. (So is teleportation, so it's kind of a science-mixed-with-fantasy genre.)

Newman.jpg?format=2500w

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/617047main_45s_building_future_spacesuit.pdf

9 minutes ago, tater said:

I do as well, actually. Part of it is the astronauts, too. The SpaceX suit looks like motorcycle leathers, and not everyone looks great in those, either. Uma Thurman? Yeah. Average 40-50 YO dude? Not so much ;)

Everybody looks fat in an space suit. 
Outside of counter pressure suits. But they has their own issues like armpits and the crouch and males has extra problems, ladies has breast but they are pretty static. 
Now counter pressure gloves would be very interesting as gloves is the main problem with space suits as they are very stiff. You will need an seal for the helmet in an counter pressure suit anyway but the forearm is an 30 cm long non moving part you could use as an seal.
Gloves should be the focus for counter pressure. 

13 hours ago, tater said:

Embiggen the image... You can see the SS/SH pad just right of center, bottom of window. Just down and right of that are some metal pieces that are curved. Presumably blast deflectors.

Edited by tater