SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

14 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Actually, someone already tried something similar (a downforce fan) on an F-1 car. It worked pretty well, but it was banned the next season (the usual fate of such innovations if they don't massively boost safety). CGTs would work in that role, too, though a fan would be more efficient.

I wonder whether compressed gas thrusters or a fan would be more efficient. Obviously a fan has higher specific impulse. But it probably involves more weight and bulk than a small accumulator and positional thrusters.

Today's launch  is supposed to be passing over the UK at a good time for seeing. Does anyone know a website that will predict when and where in the sky to see it?

11 minutes ago, tomf said:

Today's launch  is supposed to be passing over the UK at a good time for seeing. Does anyone know a website that will predict when and where in the sky to see it?

A fair guess would be to use https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

After ISS passes, Dragon should be just afterwards.

Also https://flightclub.io/

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

I agree, but I'm also speaking generally of Tim on this point.

Yeah, he has a lot of access, and could do better. The key for Elon is just putting the foot in the door with the right, open-ended "in the weeds" question, then step back and let him go off, lol.