SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, sevenperforce said:

Am I the only one who heard the announcer fallaciously say that they were doing 27k m/s?

I laughed. The announcer must have failed basic math.

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Awesome launch, excellent landing. Although they were showing an empty barge for so long after the ticker said it should have landed that I thought they lost the booster. Was happy to see it magically sitting there.

Hide contents

So we have the hosers Bob and Doug in space now. Apparently (according to a post somewhere my wife read) the Aviation Analyst covering the launch for CNN is named Miles O'Brien. Name seem familiar? Chief engineering Officer on NCC 1701-D! :cool:

Yep, I was worried too. We haven't seen loss of signal from the droneship in a while. I strongly suspect that they intentionally planned to cut the feed at landing to avoid broadcasting an exploding booster while Bob and Doug were still strapped to F9US.

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Am I the only one who heard the announcer fallaciously say that they were doing 27k m/s?

Probably; I was mostly paying attention to the gauges. Once the numbers stopped changing so quickly, my KSP experience told me that those guys were in a stable orbit. 

Someone on Imgur commented on my album and asked "Can you imagine 19 hours without toilet breaks?

25 minutes ago, Delay said:

Seems less shaky onboard than on the Space Shuttle. I guess it was the SRBs?

We've already seen American astronauts say that Soyuz is smoother than the Shuttle because the SRBs were so shaky. I am certain F9 is even smoother than Soyuz.

The gee-loading is different, too. I believe that with the Shuttle the SRBs had a lower burnout TWR than the SSMEs; here the first-stage burnout TWR is higher.

14 minutes ago, YNM said:

Anyway, a few questions :

• Dragon trunk seems a bit... empty ? Do they have plans to stuff it a bit more, or to shorten the trunk or something ?
  • Is this the default rendezvous maneuver procedure, or is there a shorter or longer one ?

Dragon trunk is not carrying any comanifested cargo today because it is the first crewed test flight. I am sure they will begin comanifesting unpressed cargo as needed during operational missions.

Rendezvous varies a bit depending on launch window.

Oh man - that was awesome!

That's how its done - and that's a real modern-day spacecraft they've got there.

Got chills listening to the abort mode callouts and that over-the-astronaut's-shoulder view was... it just was.

3 minutes ago, Delay said:

Hang on, they're using the Dracos for orbital maneuvering, right? The Superdracos are only for LES, yes?

Yup. The dracos have better ISP. They share the same propellant tanks.

Just now, Delay said:

Hang on, they're using the Dracos for orbital maneuvering, right? The Superdracos are only for LES, yes?

Correct. In fact the very last abort mode before abort-to-orbit would have called for separation and firing of the nosecone Dracos to hit the Ireland coast.

10 minutes ago, Delay said:

Don't say they have a toilet. They have a "Waste Collection System".

Or maximum absorption garments, which seems pretty gross.

9 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Announcer clearly never played KSP or he would have known instinctually.

You know, I wonder how "Are you currently playing, or have you ever played, Kerbal Space Program?" as a job interview question for NASA/SpaceX would affect the kind of employees those companies would get. Would the company do better or worse if they got KSP veterans (as well as qualified individuals)?

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie

4 minutes ago, Delay said:

Don't say they have a toilet. They have a "Waste Collection System".

The Orion space toilet would fit on Crew Dragon with room to spare.

Does anyone know if they doff the suits en route to the ISS?

Also have we heard what they named the capsule?

Just now, tater said:

S2 deorbit burn. (mission control audio stream is still live).

Interesting that they did a burn rather than a propulsive vent. I guess they reserved hella margins for this mission.

I wonder who decided to do a single-engine landing burn. Reserving extra props for a single-engine burn means a lower staging velocity, which means lower S2 residuals. Probably like an 0.0000001% greater chance of LOCV in exchange for a better shot at a norminal landing.

Just now, sevenperforce said:

Interesting that they did a burn rather than a propulsive vent. I guess they reserved hella margins for this mission.

I wonder who decided to do a single-engine landing burn. Reserving extra props for a single-engine burn means a lower staging velocity, which means lower S2 residuals. Probably like an 0.0000001% greater chance of LOCV in exchange for a better shot at a norminal landing.

Capsule was only 2/3rds max lift-off weight. Loads of margin.

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

I heard the call in the background of doing other stuff, that's what it sounded like they said. Maybe they consider the vent a burn in this particular situation?