SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, Delay said:

Minor issues on Bob's suit, but inside margins. I wonder if they either have replacements in capsule or repair capabilities on station?

Sounds like the solution might be as simple as pulling the zippers all the way closed. It's like they backed off 1 tooth.

Just now, SuperMiiBrother said:

I got worried for a second when they said they mentioned the suit issue!

As long as it is inside margins, and it is, everything's fine. Especially now they (ground) have plenty of time to look into any issues they had during their flight.

Edited by Delay

And they are docked!  Well done!

Now the leak check......hopefully that goes as well as the rest of the flight.

Edited by GDJ

3 hours ago, YNM said:

Does anyone know how exactly Dragon's autonomous docking works ? Is it like GPS-based or something ? The Russians has got big antennas and stuff, but this one seems a lot more lean. Is it like the Shuttle system that use LIDAR or like whatever they have on the ISS that allows berthing or ?

I think it's a combination of GPS, LIDAR, and visual cameras. It sounds suspiciously similar to Tesla's autopilot system.

So, a private craft has been successfully parked.

Okay, okay...

Spoiler

qLET_QT8XGkYwxOkdcZOcTH-CZz-T2f-bbUB4Rev

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

So the question has been raised. how does one pilot the capsule without a joystick?

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I believe there's already a mod that lets you transform your smartphone into a touch screen control for KSP.  

You've answered. They use smartphones.

Edited by kerbiloid

8 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Boeing, take note. This is twice as far as you've got :wink:

Patience.   It's been 24 years since the issuance of the Ansari X Prize, and even then it seemed like a pipe dream.  This is the one of the early steps of many to come in opening up space for the masses.  One major setback would have doomed any of these projects.  Look at Scaled Composites.  This is the baby step time of the industry.  We can't compare this process to the Apollo program, which was a wartime project with more effort than the Manhattan project.  This will take time.  Within 50 years the dream will be realized. 

Just now, kerbiloid said:

You've answered.

I was looking for more specifics other than just a touch screen. 

Just now, Gargamel said:

Patience.   It's been 24 years since the issuance of the Ansari X Prize, and even then it seemed like a pipe dream.  This is the one of the early steps of many to come in opening up space for the masses.  One major setback would have doomed any of these projects.  Look at Scaled Composites.  This is the baby step time of the industry.  We can't compare this process to the Apollo program, which was a wartime project with more effort than the Manhattan project.  This will take time.  Within 50 years the dream will be realized. 

Agreed. This is one hell of a beginning.

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Also no problem.

Spoiler

Terios-X3-%D0%91%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BF%D1%80

P.S.
Just realized how console players do it in KSP.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

This is the interface used for maneuvering the spacecraft: https://iss-sim.spacex.com/ Try it yourself!

It appears on one of the touchscreens. You can see it in action on the real spacecraft in some of the interior over-the-shoulder shots and in the astronauts' tour of their craft.

Edited by cubinator