SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

14 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I recall the astronauts themselves saying they got about 4.8 gees.

At 100% throttle that's 12t capsule (9.5dry,  2.5t propellant) plus 8.8t second stage (4.5t dry, 4.3t residual propellant).

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The capsule is 9.5 tonnes WITH propellant but without cargo.

I'm not entirely clear on this, but 9.5t dry plus cargo and propellant seems to add up to about F9's ASDS recovery limit, so I'm sticking with it for now.

31 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

I'm not entirely clear on this, but 9.5t dry plus cargo and propellant seems to add up to about F9's ASDS recovery limit, so I'm sticking with it for now.

The "9.5 tonnes empty" number comes from the FAA disclosure on the pad abort test, which is where they made it clear that it includes propellant but no cargo. 

31 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

EPIC

24 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

The speed at which they stack those Starships is astonishing; second only to the speed at which they disassemble them.

They're pretty much just getting a row lined up, ready to go right after the other.

"That wasn't the fireworks we wanted. Oh well, NEXT!"

"Hey, that flew. Put up the next one, let's see if we can do two in a row today."

37 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

They're pretty much just getting a row lined up, ready to go right after the other.

"That wasn't the fireworks we wanted. Oh well, NEXT!"

"Hey, that flew. Put up the next one, let's see if we can do two in a row today."

I suppose it's similar to the way they want to build enough of these to put one million people and their homes on Mars with.

13 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Only thing easier to drink from would be a flattenable pouch.

Yeah, this is what they use primarily on the ISS, but I think they have a few bottles from Earth as well.

Spoiler

Why "flag capture" when they have delivered the flag, not taken it???

On the other hand, "the eagle has landed" also sounds inaccurate with the orbiting high ground.

Maybe: "I'm the King of the Hill !!!" ?

Edited by kerbiloid

9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

On the other hand, "the eagle has landed" also sounds inaccurate with the orbiting high ground.

Maybe: "I'm the King of the Hill !!!" ?

Spoiler

"It's over, Anakin!"

2 hours ago, Treveli said:

In other news, space news writer doesn't know 'ceiling' and 'above' don't mean much in microgravity.

No - but defining the floor and the ceiling of a spacecraft or space station is a thing because it makes the crew more comfortable and helps interactions between crew members.

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/167120main_Elements.pdf

Also, defining a fixed set of directions (forward, rearward, up and down) for the ISS makes logistics and EVA planning a whole lot easier.

So in other news, space news writer seemed to be using acceptable terminology.

45 minutes ago, KSK said:

No - but defining the floor and the ceiling of a spacecraft or space station is a thing because it makes the crew more comfortable and helps interactions between crew members.

https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/167120main_Elements.pdf

Also, defining a fixed set of directions (forward, rearward, up and down) for the ISS makes logistics and EVA planning a whole lot easier.

Besides, if you read the article rather than just the headline, you see that it was an astronaut who said it was located "toward the ceiling", but clarified that this was in the context of "in one-G".

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Except that I guess the top of the capsule ends up pretty much sideways while docked to the ISS. I actually wonder whether the orientation of stuff on the ISS affects the orientation of all the other things being docked to it.

Also, if it was near the capsule dock hatch, wouldn't we have seen it while docking ? To be fair it does flare out away so it's a bit hard to see.

Edited by YNM